4k on Ubuntu guest?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tyrannasaur

4k on Ubuntu guest?

Post by tyrannasaur »

Hi,

My host and guest OS are both Xubuntu 20.04.3. My host machine is running a 4k monitor. The machine has an Rx550 GPU, 2gb. The guest allows a max res of 2560 x 1440 under display settings.

Is there a way to get 3840 x 2160 resolution on the guest OS?

I use Virtualbox Version 6.1.26 r145957 (Qt5.12.8) with no host or guest extensions installed. I have alloted 128mb to video memory which is the max allowed limit.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: 4k on Ubuntu guest?

Post by scottgus1 »

tyrannasaur wrote:no ... guest extensions additions installed
This may be the problem. Guest Additions includes drivers for the Virtualbox video card, which may give full 4K resolution.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

IMO, 4K is hard enough for a real graphics card. It's pushing it to expect virtual hardware to cope with that data bandwidth. I would expect problems.

If you must then I recommend maxing the graphics RAM out to 256MB, that gives something like 8 frames worth of frame buffers. Hopefully enough.

What I would recommend is to choose a combination of smaller size and little scaling to make a bigger window.
tyrannasaur

Post by tyrannasaur »

Hi, with Guest additions installed the highest option has not changed.

128mb memory is the maximum allowed option, i can not use a higher value.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

tyrannasaur wrote: 128mb memory is the maximum allowed option, i can not use a higher value.
If 3D acceleration is enabled - which it had better be if you want to work at 4k - then the maximum is increased to 256MB.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:If 3D acceleration is enabled - which it had better be if you want to work at 4k - then the maximum is increased to 256MB.
AFAIK, this is only true for Windows guests. Create a Linux guest and try to set it yourself. ;)

PS: You can trick the VirtualBox Manager, but that's left as an exercise for the reader. ;)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

AFAIK, this is only true for Windows guests. Create a Linux guest and try to set it yourself. ;)
I already have several Linux guests. E.g. from a Manjaro guest :-
Image1.png
Image1.png (48.38 KiB) Viewed 19287 times
I don't remember having to pull any unusual tricks to max out the graphics RAM.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:I don't remember having to pull any unusual tricks to max out the graphics RAM.
Did you create perhaps create your Linux guests with an older version of VirtualBox? I don't remember when the behavior of the VirtualBox Manager was changed, but it was either for 6.1.x or for 6.0.x.

If I create a new VM using the VirtualBox Manager 6.1.26 and select Linux as the guest OS Type, I cannot get the maximum value of the slider to change later on (except by temporarily changing the guest OS type, that is ;)). As soon as the Video Memory is set to 256 MB, the VirtualBox Manager will let you keep it.
tyrannasaur

Post by tyrannasaur »

My VirtualBox info:
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.26_Ubuntu r145957
© 2004-2021 Oracle Corporation (Qt5.12.8)
I just enabled 3D Acceleration. I tried each of the three graphics controller options. In each case, 4k resolution in the host was not an option,

Doing these tests, I never saw the option to raise video memory above 128mb.

Hoping there's something else I can try. I'm even willing to buy a better video card if you guys believe it may help. I have an Rx550 with 2gb RAM
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

tyrannasaur wrote:Doing these tests, I never saw the option to raise video memory above 128mb.
Don't get sidetracked by our 256 MB discussion. I don't think that it's relevant here at all.

First of all, you should provide a (zipped) VBox.log file as was already requested in Re: 4k on Ubuntu guest?.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote: Did you create perhaps create your Linux guests with an older version of VirtualBox?
I don't believe so. My interest in Manjaro is quite recent, certainly from the VirtualBox 6.1.x era.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

tyrannasaur wrote:My VirtualBox info:
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.26_Ubuntu r145957
© 2004-2021 Oracle Corporation (Qt5.12.8)
I just enabled 3D Acceleration. I tried each of the three graphics controller options. In each case, 4k resolution in the host was not an option,
"6.1.26_Ubuntu" indicates the Ubuntu fork. We don't support forks here. Please install the real thing, not any of the tribute versions.

Do not "try each of the three graphics controller options". Only one is the correct choice for a Linux guest, that being VMSVGA. But to get the benefit you do of course need to enable 3D acceleration and install up to date Guest Additions. Provide the VM log requested and we'll see if you already did that.
tyrannasaur

Post by tyrannasaur »

If I install the real virtualbox, will it be able to use my current guest OS, or is it likely I'll have to start over?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

We can't say anything about forks with certainty, but others who have done it were able to continue using their existing VMs.