Stange things with GAs, but all start with shared clipboard doesn't work

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Nico31

Stange things with GAs, but all start with shared clipboard doesn't work

Post by Nico31 »

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here, so don't hesitate to inform me about rules or informations needed.

By the past, I installed VM with debian 7 and Debian 8 with not so much effort.
But this time, I'm facing stange issue.
Here's my problem.

Host : Windows 10, Vbox 5.2.34 + Extensions Pack
Guest : Debian 11 (kernel 5.10.0-8-amd64) + KVM and VT-x/AMD-V activated

1 - From a very fresh install with the debian-11.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso, I saw stange things :
  • - When I do Right CTRL + N, it tells me that GAs are set, version 6.0.0 r127566.
    But nothnig in /opt, nor in /usr/bin (like VBoxClient ...)
    => Were does this come from ? Is it pre-installed in Debian ?
  • - Moreover, some GAs features seems to work like automatic full screen, or mouse integration.
    But Shared folder doesnt work nor shared clipboard. Strange, isn't it ? for me at least. :?
2 - In order to have shared folders and clipboard working, I install the GAs with VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.26.iso
Integration seems to work and after reboot the shared folders are seen
But shared clipboard is not working.
Trying to copy simple text from Windows/notepad++ to Deb11/mousepad or LXTerminal (and vice-versa), nothing works.

3 - When I UNinstall GAs 6.1.26 (sh ./VBoxLinuxAddition.run uninstall), the VM restarts and RightCTRL+N gives me that GAs 6.0.0 r127566. are still there :shock: , and fullsize screen and mouse integration still work.

I think I said everything
I'm just adding VBox.log (maybe it helps)

If you have any idea on what's going on, I'm listening to you :D
Attachments
VBox.zip
(48.26 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Stange things with GAs, but all start with shared clipboard doesn't work

Post by scottgus1 »

No GAs further on than 5.2.34 would be expected to work with 5.2.34 Virtualbox. Either upgrade the host to the latest and try to install that version's bundled GAs, or stay on 5.2.34 on the host and only use 5.2.34 GAs.

Linux OS's often have built-in forked GAs to work with the forked Virtualbox that Linux distros provide. We recommend:
  1. uninstalling the forked GAs.
  2. installing the Linux prerequisites, which are the same for host Virtualbox or GAs, https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq (this usually centers on installing the headers).
  3. install the GAs bundled with Virtualbox, via the VM window's Devices menu, Insert Guest Additions CD image, then launching the installer in the VM's CD drive.
Nico31

Re: Strange things with GAs, but all starts with shared clipboard doesn't work

Post by Nico31 »

Thank you.
No GAs further on than 5.2.34 would be expected to work with 5.2.34 Virtualbox.
This is a good information for me.

For the record, I did, prior to try to install the GAs
  • apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install dkms
and when, at first, I try to add GAs 5.34.2, I have this :
  • Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.34 Guest Additions for Linux........
    VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
    Copying additional installer modules ...
    Installing additional modules ...
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules. This may take a while.
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.10.0-8-amd64.

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log to find out what went wrong
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
    VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.10.0-8-amd64.

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log to find out what went wrong
Looking at this file (see attachment), it gives me some faults but I didn't know how to deal with them.
So my best move was to go to the last version of GAs (6.1.26), whose integration was made without any error but clipboard wasn't working(cf my first post).

Now, with your advice, I'm going back to the beginning.
From a new installation, the same as the first ten times, I add GA 5.34.2 which generate the same errors (see attachment).
But this time, the clipboard is working !!!!! as the other GAs !!! :shock:
Absolutely don't know why. :evil:
and CTRL Right + N tells GAs is 6.0.0 r127566 !!

I immediately backuped my .VDI, twice :D

Thank you.

I don't know if i have to set this topic SOLVED or just CLOSED (if it exists)
Attachments
vboxadd-setup.zip
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I have no experience in troubleshooting linux but the error in the report file says:
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
Nico31 wrote:I did, prior to try to install the GAs
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
I had a problem once trying the combined apt-get and uname command. I have had success running uname -r separately, then copied the text output, then run 'apt-get install linux-headers-{pasted-text}'.

The list of apt-gets does not show the text output of the commands, so it could still be possible that there was an error getting the headers.
Nico31 wrote:apt-get install dkms
Curiously, Guest Additions bundled with official Virtualbox does not use dkms, and the Virtualbox prerequisites link does not mention dkms. Are you sure you were following the linked prerequisites?
Nico31 wrote:From a new installation ... GAs is 6.0.0 r127566 !!
These are the pre-installed Linux fork GAs.

So far this one isn't solved yet. But if you're satisfied with the VM's operation for now, that is good.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:So far this one isn't solved yet.
I think I can answer (some of) the open questions:

The developers of VirtualBox 5.2.34 could not foresee the changes in Linux kernel 5.4 and newer (they probably didn't have a time machine ;)). In consequence, building the VirtualBox GA kernel drivers is doomed to fail.

Regarding uname, it's important to use backquotes (other quotes won't work here) or the newer $() variant:

Code: Select all

apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Regarding the dkms package, it's true that you don't need it, but it's an easy way to install the other needed packages like gcc and make automatically without having to know them. ;)

Regarding the 6.0.0 GA version: The VirtualBox GA consist of VirtualBox kernel drivers, which are being built during installation, and VirtualBox programs, which come pre-built. Many Linux distributions pre-install only the VirtualBox kernel drivers as part of some kernel module package (not related to any VirtualBox package), that's when you usually encounter the 6.0.0 version number.