Kali Linux is running very slow!

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JAMy

Kali Linux is running very slow!

Post by JAMy »

Here is my zipped VBox.log... :D

Can anyone help me? i tried to change the settings but it didnt work out. :-/
Attachments
VBox.zip
(30.25 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kali Linux is running very slow!

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.555651 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:04.322145 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?".
00:00:03.265338 File system of 'C:\Users\marko\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2018.4-vbox-amd64
                \Kali-Linux-2018.4-vbox-amd64-disk001.vdi' is ntfs
Why the "disk001.vdi"? That doesn't look like the default name for the VDI. Did you create the VM yourself?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JAMy

Post by JAMy »

thanks for ur reply irst!
the system is loaded too, when i only use 2 cores! this was just a test...

and it is indeed the original virtualbox kali image which i downloaded from the official kali site.

any other ideas? :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nope.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Your log file shows that it takes around 17 seconds for the system to have booted enough for the guest additions to report their version. My Debian 9 installation on a macOS 10.14.2 host takes just over 20 seconds to get to the same point. Slow doesn't appear to mean "slow to boot" so you are going to have to define what "very slow" means.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.