"This device is not working" under Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr guest on VirtualBox 5.2.20

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
rossmpersonal
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS, Trusty Tahr

"This device is not working" under Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr guest on VirtualBox 5.2.20

Post by rossmpersonal »

I am running an Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr guest on VirtualBox 5.2.20 on a macOS 10.14 host I have the latest guest additions installed (unless they did not install properly). I have installed all Ubuntu patches and updates (except updating to a later version of Ubuntu).When I go under Software & Updates, the Additional Drivers tab shows "This device is not working." for both VirtualBox Graphics Adapter and VirtualBox Guest Service. See the screenshot below.
screenshot
screenshot
VirtualBox_Linux_17_10_2018_16_32_55 copy.png (121.67 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
1. Should I be concerned?
2. Does this mean that I did not install the guest additions properly?
3. What information do you need to help diagnose the problem?
4. How do I solve this problem?
5. Is this more a VirtualBox question or is this more of an Ubuntu question that should be addressed elsewhere?

Sorry for such a stupid question.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: "This device is not working" under Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr guest on VirtualBox 5.2.20

Post by socratis »

rossmpersonal wrote:1. Should I be concerned?
No. You're looking at the Ubuntu's custom drivers. You do *not* want them, you want the ones that come with VirtualBox.
rossmpersonal wrote:2. Does this mean that I did not install the guest additions properly?
We'll have to see the log to know for sure. And potentially the output of the installation.
rossmpersonal wrote:3. What information do you need to help diagnose the problem?
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rossmpersonal
Guest OSses: Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS, Trusty Tahr

Re: "This device is not working" under Ubuntu® 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr guest on VirtualBox 5.2.20

Post by rossmpersonal »

Attached is the log you requested. Thank you.
Linux-2018-10-19-09-07-38.log.zip
VBox.log
(28.85 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:13.759925 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.20 r125813 '5.2.20'
Your Guest Additions (GAs) are installed fine. You can safely ignore that message as I said the Ubuntu forked GAs. And actually, not just ignore it, but avoid it... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.