[Solved] Some linux distros show scribble screen on startup

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Flavius

[Solved] Some linux distros show scribble screen on startup

Post by Flavius »

I am installing linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso and get the scribble screen when I first start the VM. I never
get past this scribble screen to log in (and install GA). Installing linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit.iso works
fine. I've seen this scribble screen on a couple of other linux distros. I don't have a list of which do this,
but I can go back and identify them if that will help.

To recap, I create the new guest and start it. It appears to begin starting up fine, then I get the scribble
screen. I'm giving the guest plenty of RAM and display RAM.

I'm running Version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2) on Windows 10. I'm also attaching a screenshot and the log
entry for this run. I've looked the log over, but I confess I'm not sure exactly what to look for.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
Screenshot
Screenshot
mint-19-64-v2.png (83.19 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Attachments
mint-19-64-v2.zip
Log
(24.12 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Oct 2018, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Some linux distros show scribble screen on startup

Post by socratis »

Try to switch TTYs in order to force the Xserver to "re-calibrate" its thing. Pressing "Alt+Ctrl+F7" followed by "Alt+Ctrl+F2" does that on a physical computer. For a VM, since the "HostKey" acts as a "Alt+Ctrl", you press "HostKey+F7" followed by "HostKey+F2".

I can't see clearly from the picture, but it looks like you're on Win10, and the "HostKey", as shown in the bottom-right part of the status bar, looks like "Right Ctrl" (which is the default BTW).
00:00:36.902843 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
And that's your problem. The custom GAs. As soon as you manage to get in, make sure you uninstall them. They seem to create more problems than they actually solve...

Not having the "3D acceleration" enabled in your VM settings doesn't help either...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

That fixed it! Thank you. I typically use 3D acceleration but was trying
various settings to resolve the scribble screen.

You can mark this as resolved, if you like. Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
berghsg

Re: [Solved] Some linux distros show scribble screen on startup

Post by berghsg »

ATTEMPTING TO RUN LINUX MINT 19 AS GUEST
Hi Flavius

You have gone much further than I, i cannot even get Linux mint 19 64 bit to run, my Oracle VB crashes.
My version of VB is Version 5.1.16 r113841 (Qt5.5.1). My OS is Ubuntu 64 bit (xenial). I have successfully run Win 7 and Win 10 on the same VB.
Are you able to help?

see attached VBox.log.tar.gz
Attachments
VBox.log.tar.gz
(45.04 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Flavius

Re: [Solved] Some linux distros show scribble screen on startup

Post by Flavius »

I'm sorry, berghsg. I never tried this config. My host is Win 10 pro and my guest was Linux Mint 19.
Are you able to run any other flavors of linux as a guest successfully? Perhaps Ubuntu?