[WorksForMe] Loss of mouse control with Linux Mint 19 guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Leloup78

[WorksForMe] Loss of mouse control with Linux Mint 19 guest

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

The host is Win7. Up now, I used as Guest Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I should like changing it for Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. I should like doing to backup my treasured stuff and clean install to resume from of scratch. So, I have downloaded linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso then it is placed in the optical drive as I did with VBoxGuestAddtitions.
Linux Mint 19 looks start without any problem in the small window. The keyboard is recognized and works but not the mouse. I can press the right key Ctrl, but it has no effect. Consequently, my installation is failed.

I don't know what to do anymore. Do you have any idea to help me.

Regards,

Leloup
Last edited by socratis on 26. Sep 2018, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Loss of mouse control with Linux Mint 19 guest

Post by socratis »

Do you have any USB filters in your VM? Especially a blank one?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

I fought all afternoon to get this VM to work without results and then the next day it worked the first time. :!:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Computers work in mysterious ways sometimes. Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour Socratis,

I should have turned my tongue three times in my mouth before I spoke. :lol: The mouse fails again. :oops: The keyboard is recognized and works but not the mouse. I can press the right key Ctrl, but it has no effect. Consequently, my installation is failed again.
With the Linux Mint 18.3 version, no problem while with the 19 version, the mouse fails again.

Regards,
Leloup
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [WorksForMe] Loss of mouse control with Linux Mint 19 guest

Post by socratis »

Are you using any special mouse drivers? I remember a case where a user was using the custom Dell drivers for the mouse and they were facing similar problems. As soon as they changed mice, the problem went away (I'll try to find the link). Can you try with a 5€ simple USB mouse?
 Edit: Found the ticket, but it was a cursor issue actually: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17920 
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Super Socratis,

Bingo! :lol: I changed mouse,
from Logitech M/N:M-UAS144 PID:LZ936AJ CLASSE 1
to HP
with Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, both works, with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, only the HP mouse works.

How to load driver for Logitech M/N:M-UAS144 PID:LZ936AJ Classe 1......? :?:

Regards,

Leloup
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Leloup78 wrote:How to load driver for Logitech
One thing that both you and the other user in the ticket have in common, is that you used special drivers for the ... mouse? Why? Why in the seven kingdoms would you need a driver for a USB mouse? Get rid of it, all of the mouse drivers! As you can see they're not good enough.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

I replaced Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon by Linux Mint 19 Mate. I don't have no problem with mouse. :) I tested Linux Mint 19 Xfce, it is the same, no problem. :) So, Cinnamon isn't quite ready yet.

Regards,

Leloup