[Solved] Unable to install Guest Additions on Debian Linux 9.5.0 + KDE/Plasma

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
klk206

[Solved] Unable to install Guest Additions on Debian Linux 9.5.0 + KDE/Plasma

Post by klk206 »

I am running Oracle VM Virtual Box (5.2.18) on Windows 10 host with Debian 9.5.0 Linux as a guest OS. I am trying to install Guest Additions CD.
Linux is installed on a virtual disk from live CD debian-live-9.5.0-amd64-kde.iso
I think it has Plasma desktop. It runs fine without installing Guest Additions.

When I insert the CD, install the additions, and then reboot the machine, I am able to go through graphical login, but then the interface becomes non-responsive. No panels and menus are shown. The problem is with X server as I am able to ssh into the machine fine. If I uninstall Guest Additions by running uninstaller from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.18/uninstall.sh and reboot, everything goes back to normal.

Is this a known issue? (I could not find it mentioned anywhere.) What could be the problem?
Last edited by socratis on 18. Sep 2018, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to install Guest Additions on Debian Linux 9.5.0 + KDE/Plasma

Post by socratis »

Moving from "Windows Hosts" to "Linux Guests", you may have a better audience there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

klk206 wrote:What could be the problem?
Based on the evidence given I think it is due to a misalignment in the planets! :)

Can you reinstall the guest additions, boot the VM to the point you have experienced the problem, shut it down and post the VBox.log file? That may give us the best shot at seeing what is going on under the hood.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
klk206

Post by klk206 »

VBox.log file is attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(40.52 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
klk206

Post by klk206 »

Installing and uninstalling goes fine without errors:

Code: Select all

$ sudo su
# cd /media/cdrom0/
# sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.18 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
+ reboot --> KDE/Plasma(?) is misbehaving

Code: Select all

# cd /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.18
# ./uninstall.sh
Removing installed version 5.2.18 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
+ reboot --> KDE/Plasma(?) behaves normally.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.993877 [/GIM/] (level 1)
00:00:03.993878   Provider <string>  = "HyperV" (cb=7)
That doesn't look right for a Debian guest. Change the VM Settings » System » Acceleration » Paravirtualization Interface, to Default.

Other than that see if you have better luck with the test builds. From what I've seen here and in the bugtracker, KDE/Plasma may have some issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
klk206

Post by klk206 »

Setting Paravirtualization to Default did not work. However, following this idea, I have turned off Settings >> Display >> Acceleration >> Enable 3D Acceleration, and got this working. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, 3D acceleration is required? Impressive. Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
klk206

Re: [Solved] Unable to install Guest Additions on Debian Linux 9.5.0 + KDE/Plasma

Post by klk206 »

On the contrary, having it enabled caused the problem. I disabled it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Unable to install Guest Additions on Debian Linux 9.5.0 + KDE/Plasma

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the clarification, I missed the "off" part. :shock:
Now that you mention it, it makes sense:
socratis wrote:From what I've seen here and in the bugtracker, KDE/Plasma may have some issues.