VBox Guest Additions make crash VM VB during take VM snapshots

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Kowa92

VBox Guest Additions make crash VM VB during take VM snapshots

Post by Kowa92 »

Hi All!

I have a VBox VM with Ubuntu 18.04 as guest on WIndows 10 Host. Before installing the VBox Guest Addition (VB GA) on Ubuntu VM, the VM snapshots all worked very well! But after installing it, all the snapshots that are made cause a crash of the same VM (they interrupt its functioning). In practice, the snapshot process stops and crashes as soon as it reaches 96% of the acquisition of the same. I need the VB GA to implement the shared network folder between guest and host.

In my opinion this is a bug of the VB GA.
- What's the cause of this crash? Is it possible to fix it?

The procedure that i did to install the VB GA in Ubuntu VM, was:
1. Installation of these packages in Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms;
2. Restarting VM;
3. Installation of VB GA through the iso image provided with the option "insert VB GA image" of my Oracle VB Manager .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
->> I have another question to do:
I noticed that, once the VB GA is installed on Ubuntu VM, i have to enter my Ubuntu account password twice to access the "sf_Shared_Folder" that i used.
- Why this thing? Is it normal this behavior?

Thank you for your support. I need your help! :roll:

Greetings,
Lorenzo
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBox Guest Additions make crash VM VB during take VM snapshots

Post by socratis »

The Guest Additions (GAs) have nothing to do with the snapshot functionality, so I'm not quite sure what you're describing here.

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kowa92

Post by Kowa92 »

Hello!
I've done as you said... but the VM crashes just like the last times:
Once i install the VB GA installing it, all the snapshots that are made cause a crash of the same VM (they interrupt its functioning). In practice, the snapshot process stops and crashes as soon as it reaches 96% of the acquisition of the same. I need the VB GA to implement the shared network folder between guest and host.
- What's the cause of this crash?
I noticed that, once the VB GA is installed on Ubuntu VM, i have to enter my Ubuntu account password twice to access the "sf_Shared_Folder" that i used.
Moreover, if I try to enter the shared folder from the ubuntu resources explorer it does not let me access:

Click here if the preview image is not visible!
- Why this thing? Is it normal this behavior?

The "VBox.log" is zipped and attched to this reply.

Thank you for your support. I need your help! :roll:

Greetings,
Lorenzo
Attachments
VBox.7z
(19.46 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Last edited by socratis on 13. Aug 2018, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed non-rendering [img] tag to a 3rd party site.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please do not mix two problems in the same thread. Let's focus on the snapshot crash, not on your shared folders. Open a new thread about your shared folders.

What's the error message when you try to take a snapshot?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kowa92

Post by Kowa92 »

Ok, sorry.

There isn't any kind of error. As i said, once i start the a VM snapshot process, it stops and make my VM crashes as soon as it reaches 96% (3/4 or 4/4) of the acquisition of the same without show up any error messages..
Last edited by socratis on 15. Aug 2018, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.