[Solved] 3D accelaration still not supported on Mac host with Ubuntu guest with GA 5.2.7

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
AALLeeXX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

[Solved] 3D accelaration still not supported on Mac host with Ubuntu guest with GA 5.2.7

Post by AALLeeXX »

Hello,

In VirtualBox settings of my VM, I enabled 3D acceleration for my Ubuntu guest, but consequence is that linux guest is super slow and even quickly becomes unusable, nothing reacts any more, its like mouse and keyboards were gone. I was previously advised to use the GuestAdditions 5.2.7 which were supposed to allow 3D acceleration.
I'm currently running these ones, downloaded recently: VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.7-120326.iso

When 3D acceleration is enabled, Linux (Ubuntu 17.10) is just frozen, I cannot do anything, even not shut it down. I guess its a known problem, but in spite of advices I got here, no way. I shall keep 3D disable...

Did some of you could override this problem ? Is a fix expected ? Or is it my setup that is wrong ? I do not see in this forum any other solution that using the GA 5.2.7... which does not work with me...On Ubuntu side, using X11 or wayland makes no difference.

I attach the logs I took, from a clear startup to a ACPI reset (since not soft way to shutdown).
Ubuntu 17.10 64 bits-2018-02-17-23-12-22.log.zip
With 3D acceleration enabled
(32.32 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Virtualbox Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.3)
Host: MacOS HighSierra 10.13.4 (17E150g)
Guest: Ubuntu 17.10, 64 bits
Guest additions installed, see above

Thank you for your hints here, my VB is very slow without the 3D acceleration.

ALeX
Last edited by AALLeeXX on 2. Mar 2018, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
AALLeeXX
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

Re: 3D accelaration still not supported on Mac host with Ubuntu guest with GA 5.2.7

Post by AALLeeXX »

Fixed with update 5.2.8. Great news, happy to recover usage of my Linux ...
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] 3D accelaration still not supported on Mac host with Ubuntu guest with GA 5.2.7

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. I wasn't able to replicate your problem with any of the 5.2.6+ GAs, but it's definitely good to hear that 5.2.8 fixed whatever was causing the issue.

And thank you for marking it as [Solved]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.