[Solved] Is Virtual Box Guest vboxvideo Work with Centos 7.4/xorg-x11 1.19 yet

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sponge_bob_128

[Solved] Is Virtual Box Guest vboxvideo Work with Centos 7.4/xorg-x11 1.19 yet

Post by sponge_bob_128 »

Months ago I updated CentOS (7.4) but it broke VirtualBox guest vboxvideo (Host:Windows) due to that it was not compatible with xorg-x11 1.19 running under CentOS. Since then, I do not allow CentOS to upgrade xorg-x11 after I "downgraded it" back to the previous X11 version. I have tried upgrading again with new versions of VirtualBox and CentOS kernels but was always forced to downgrade X11 each time which is a pain. I guess I could just clone the whole partition and revert it back if it fails again, but I'll try asking here.

Host:Windows 7.
Guest: CentOS 7.4 (latest as of Jan 15, 2018).
VirtualBox: 5.2.4.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2018, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Is Virtual Box Guest vboxvideo Work with Centos 7.4/xorg-x11 1.19 yet

Post by socratis »

I believe that I might have seen something about the 1.19 xorg in the latest test build. Could you give that a try?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sponge_bob_128

Post by sponge_bob_128 »

The 5.2.6 release popped up for me today so I tried it with the latest Centos 7.4 (with latest x11) and it worked. With respect to other recent posts, I don't run with 3D Video enabled so that is a nonissue with me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Even if you did, a fix/patch is already available in the Downloads page.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sponge_bob_128

Re: [Solved] Is Virtual Box Guest vboxvideo Work with Centos 7.4/xorg-x11 1.19 yet

Post by sponge_bob_128 »

Further experience with this problem, I tried 5.2.6 on another machine with Centos 7.4 and it failed (could not load (insmod) vboxvideo.ko). I then tried the 5.2.7 test build guest additions, same problem. I then build a fresh test CentOS 7.4 virtual box box and that worked fine. I think my upgraded and downgraded X11 (multiple times) Linux configuration is in a screwy state and just needs a reinstall from scratch on that machine.
sponge_bob_128

Re: [Solved] Is Virtual Box Guest vboxvideo Work with Centos 7.4/xorg-x11 1.19 yet

Post by sponge_bob_128 »

Further further info, Not loading vboxvideo.ko module problem looked to be caused by a (legacy) "nomodeset" on the grub boot.
I run that Linux install both on bare-metal and inside Virtualbox.