Black screen with Ubuntu guest on Win host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mickae1

Black screen with Ubuntu guest on Win host

Post by mickae1 »

Hi, I have also a black screen when I tried to start my ubuntu image under a windows host. See my log :(

I have also this error on VBoxSVC.log :
00:00:04.465790 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001) aIID={edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5} aComponent={ExtPackManagerWrap} aText={No extension pack by the name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' was found}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:04.490793 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89} aComponent={SessionMachine} aText={Saved screenshot data is not available (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
Attachments
VBox.zip
(26.67 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Black screen with Ubuntu guest on Win host

Post by socratis »

First of all, please do not resurrect a 5 year old thread. Open a new one. I'm going to split your post and give it a new thread, new title and a new home; Linux guests.

You haven't updated your Guest Additions:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.4 r119785 win.amd64 (Dec 18 2017 15:47:18) release log
00:00:10.891541 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.6 r110634 '5.1.6'
Also, try to disable 3D acceleration, then update the GAs, then re-enable the 3D acceleration. See if that helps...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mickae1

Post by mickae1 »

Thx, but how can I update de GA if I don't have screen ? The screen is black :'(

Edit: I disabled the 3D acceleration, it's not better ! Still have the black screen. And I can't put Guest addition because of the black screen !

Edit 2 : How do I disable the Guest addition ? If it's too old, I have to disable it !
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Is this guest one you created or an image from somewhere? ( machine generation kernel-disk1.vmdk )
Does the guest achieve rendering the login screen? If so use the host+f1 hotkeys to enter a tty and remove/install them manually.
mickae1

Post by mickae1 »

It's an image created on this host. It was working before.

And I don't have the login screen ! :'( It's not rendering ..... . maybe if I boot on a LiveCD I can removed the Guest addition ? any idea what files I should delete ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Perryg wrote:Does the guest achieve rendering the login screen? If so
Hey Perryg, are there instances where you could have completed a normal boot, yet you would end up with a black screen? I mean the VM (or the computer in any event) finishing the boot process, being at the login screen, but it would still be black?

@mickae1
Did you try the HostKey+F1 that Perryg mentioned?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mickae1

Post by mickae1 »

No, I don't have the login screen and the host key + F1 does nothing ( windows key + F1 ) .
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Hey Perryg, are there instances where you could have completed a normal boot, yet you would end up with a black screen? I mean the VM (or the computer in any event) finishing the boot process, being at the login screen, but it would still be black?
Yes maybe. Depends if the video is getting corrupt and exactly what the OS is and several other things that come to mind. The tty uses framebuffers and no VBox video to speak of so it takes it out of the equation. Better than a live OS in the fact that the OS is mounted by itself where the live CD requires that you actually mount the OS ( think chroot ) manually to be able to work on it. Either way would work in theory but the former is easier.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

windows key + F1 is not the host key. By default the "right control key" is the host key unless you changed it.
mickae1

Post by mickae1 »

Hello, thanks to the Host Key + R I was able to find out what was the problem.

It's a problem of free space in my Disk . I increased my Disk space and Tada ! THe machine works !

Thank you every one !
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I have faced Black screen problem after installing VBoxGuestAddition 5.2.x to Ubuntu 16.04LTS guest machine on VirtualBox 5.2.4 for Windows host.
I googled an information about X11 on Ubuntu 17.10 was not worked with VBoxGuestAddition 5.2.x, but has been stablly worked with VBoxGuestAddition 5.1.30 on VirtualBox 5.2.4.
I will be trying Ubuntu guest updating to VirtualBox 5.2.6 for Win host, but I don't understand VBoxGuestAddition 5.2.6 with X11 on Ubuntu.
Please let me know if anyone can resolve this problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The 5.2.6 Linux GAs have an issue when 3D acceleration is enabled. There is a fix however, just look at the "Important" part about the GAs in the download page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
apo2

Post by apo2 »

The 5.2.7-120326 GAs is successfully installed to ubuntu 17.10 (Kernel 4.13.25-amd64-general) and rebooted clearly on VirtualBox 5.2.6 for Win host. I will be trying to ubuntu 16.04-3 LTS from now. THX.