guest modeset X driver - black preview in GUI manager

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
burdi01
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

guest modeset X driver - black preview in GUI manager

Post by burdi01 »

VirtualBox 5.2.2 (Oracle version) on Xubuntu 16.04.3: as soon as the Linux guest starts using the "modeset" X driver (such as the Xubuntu 17.10 ISO does, no Guest Additions) the Preview mini display in the VirtualBox Manager GUI turns black.
For as far as I can remember this symptom started with VB 5.2.0, but I am sure I saw this with VB 5.2.1.
Please treat this as a minor complaint.
:D
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: guest modeset X driver - black preview in GUI manager

Post by mpack »

I know nada about the modeset X driver. Does it involve OpenGL? In which case it would be normal that the CPU has no access to the GPU framebuffer.

But, it has been ever thus, if a GPU renderer is involved. This is not new VirtualBox behaviour, though the use of a new renderer could be new guest behaviour.

Is this really that important? I've always seen the display preview as a pointless gimmick and a waste of CPU. Probably I'm missing something.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: guest modeset X driver - black preview in GUI manager

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote: I've always seen the display preview as a pointless gimmick and a waste of CPU.
+2!!!

Why +2? Because on OSX we have 2 (!) of these previews; one in VirtualBox Manager, and one in the Dock. Thankfully you can turn off the Dock one and saving *really whole of a lot* of CPU cycles. I guess you could select another idle VM in the VirtualBox Manager as well...

But, I digressed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
burdi01
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

[Solved] guest modeset X driver - black preview in GUI manager

Post by burdi01 »

@mpack, @socratis: Thank you for the explanation.
I also regard this preview mini display as something dispensable. That is why I said "please treat this as a minor complaint".
:D