Ubuntu 12.04 guest lockup

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
petr_k

Ubuntu 12.04 guest lockup

Post by petr_k »

Hi,

I am setting up a system with multiple Ubuntu 12.04 guests, however, I am experiencing frequent freezes of the guest systems during the installation process. Only the host freezes - I can still pause/resume or save state via VirtualBox, it still is responsive - only the VM is stuck and not moving anywhere.

It usually happens at the end of installation, however, experienced it happening a few times during apt-get updates.

I think I should be able to reproduce it during the system install if my theory is correct - my question is, what logs should I collect to try to get to the bottom of this? I am running in a jail on a BSD-based system (FreeNAS)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 guest lockup

Post by Perryg »

Not really sure. VirtualBox does not have a dedicated download for BSD so unless you installed the generic *.run file or compiled it yourself you would need to ask BSD
In any case the guests log file would be what you need to look at for available resources or any errors that might cause this.
petr_k

Post by petr_k »

hi,

I've found further information - there lock up is not complete, the host only grinds-down to extremely slow speed. I've demonstrated it on running Memtest86:
We can see that the wallclock updates itself every approx 10m, but progress is close to none. The VBoxHeadless process in the meantime consumes 100% CPU. I've got identical setup running on another machine where it works fine, the only difference I can see is the individual CPU capabilities (the one that freezes does not support nested paging for example but I made sure to disable the option in the host settings).
state1
state1
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 13.01.52.png (108.05 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
state2
state2
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 13.03.21.png (117.12 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

All I can say to this is to point you to my previous reply.
petr_k

Post by petr_k »

Ok - I am seeking help on that front as well. Thank you!

I will re-run the memtest machine and watch the log to see if anything pops-up at the time when it grinds to a hault.