No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest

socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest

Post by socratis »

When most people say "No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest", they usually mean "I can't access XYZ site with Internet Explorer". Well, that's not because of lack of internet connectivity, that's because the installed IEs are ancient and can't work in this day and age.

To test if you do have internet connectivity, try the following "commands" from a Command Prompt on your guest. I've included a sample output, with only the parameters that you should be focusing on. First run "ipconfig /all" to see basic networking information:
> ipconfig /all
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-36-28-0C
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.2
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
Note the value for your YourDefaultGateway(s) and the IP(s) of your DNS server(s). Then "ping" some basic addresses:
> ping <YourDefaultGateway>         <-- tests your basic connectivity
> ping 1.1.1.1                      <-- tests name resolution
> ping download.virtualbox.org      <-- tests outgoing internet connectivity
If you can "ping <YourDefaultGateway>", if you can "ping 1.1.1.1", if you can "ping download.virtualbox.org", VirtualBox is working as it should and your guest has an active, working Internet connection.

If it's your preinstalled Internet Explorer that is not working, that's because it's obsolete, and in particular it doesn't understand HTTPS connections used by almost all modern sites. The solution is to install a browser compatible with today's standards.

Firefox 52.9.0esr (2018-06-25) for example, is the latest Firefox that's supported for WinXP.

Edits by scottgus1:
Forum guru BillG also reports success in web-browsing within XP using SeaMonkey version 2.49.1 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103192&p=501526#p501526

You can use the default installed IE to download it. It may no longer be possible to use Internet Explorer to download anything in XP. You may have to download the installer through your host OS, then use an ISO or a Virtualbox VISO to pass the browser installer through the VM's CD drive, or install the Guest Additions in the XP VM (95 & 98 have no GAs) so a Virtualbox Shared Folder can be used to pass the browser installer into the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.