Tutorial: Installing Windows 3.11 with (working) drivers!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Tutorial: Installing Windows 3.11 with (working) drivers

Post by mpack »

urbite wrote:I have my WFW 3.11 loaded on top of DOS 6.20 (instead of 6.22). Could this be the problem?
Unlikely I would think - DOS knows nothing about graphics. Also, my Win 3.1 is still running fine (just checked, using VBox v4.2.12), plus I run it on top of DOS 6.22.

It could be some kind of driver problem. At a wild guess it's getting confused about emulating 16 color (4bpp) vs 256 color (8bpp) display modes. In 16 color modes a byte contains two pixels, is it just a coincidence the scaling is x2 ? The cause might be an incorrect init of the graphics mode, which would be why switching to text mode and back fixes it.

I don't see what networking would have to do with it.
antipop

Post by antipop »

Hi,

I may be blind but where is the link to the driver iso that you created? Great Tutorial!

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There are driver links near the end of the OPs post. There are some Win3.x howtos that may also contain driver links. (*)

(*) I went looking for the Win 3.x howtos and discovered that they had been unstickied for some reason. Maybe somebody thought the threads were too ancient, but they are nothing compared to the age of Win 3.x itself! Hence I've moved those howto's to the Howtos | Windows Guests forum.