No audio output devices found macOS High Sierra

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Fractor

No audio output devices found macOS High Sierra

Post by Fractor »

Hi,

I am trying to configure my guest OS so that it has an audio output device available, but no luck so far.

The guest OS is macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit). The host OS is macOS 10.15 Catalina (64-bit).

I have tried most if not all permutations of Settings > Audio without success. I've also looked around the forum and on the web but nothing jumped out at me.

I've attached the log file.

Thank you,
Al.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Log file
(31.08 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Re: No audio output devices found macOS High Sierra

Post by paulmc »

Sorry, I have only a 'me too' experience to offer. :-(

As you can tell from a forum browse / search, there are already several discussions of a lack of audio in High Sierra & later guest VMs, including a few approved threads (where people are using Apple hardware) and many more unapproved threads (the locked ones where people are using 'other' hardware).

Approved threads include: Perhaps a workaround or solution will turn up eventually in one of them.

Indeed, there's already a glimmer of hope in the somewhat related thread 'Facetime cannot log in account', where the OP indicates that they got audio(-in?) to work in a Catalina guest, within a Linux host on an iMac, via a "passed" webcam (presumably a captured USB device). So, it seems that at least some USB-attached audio devices would work in High Sierra & later guest VMs.
quiltech

Re: No audio output devices found macOS High Sierra

Post by quiltech »

Fractor wrote: 5. Jun 2020, 12:11 Hi,

I am trying to configure my guest OS so that it has an audio output device available, but no luck so far.

The guest OS is macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit). The host OS is macOS 10.15 Catalina (64-bit).

I have tried most if not all permutations of Settings > Audio without success. I've also looked around the forum and on the web but nothing jumped out at me.

I've attached the log file.

Thank you,
Al.
For Intel HD Audio issues

Try github_com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-2.9.2-Clover/releases
VoodooHDA 2.9.2 Clover-V13 for High Sierra.

VoodooHDA 2.9.2 Clover-V15 for Catalina

VoodooHDA is an open source audio driver for devices compliant with the Intel High Definition Audio (HDA) specification that works on both real Apple hardware and virtual.
Last edited by quiltech on 23. Jul 2023, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.