Drag and drop Fails

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Drax

Drag and drop Fails

Post by Drax »

Drag and drop fails. I have OSX Catalina on the host, and OSX Lion on the Guest. On virtualbox manager on host I have bidirectional drag and drop selected. When I check on guest it shows as bidirectional as well. However, NOTHING can be D&D from host to Guest or Guest to host. I have installed the guest additions via the CD drive on the Guest. I am using VB 6.1.6 as well as the GA for 6.1.6

I have tried everything I can think of. How do I get this to work?

Also I notice that devices that show up as shared on the host do not show up as shared on the Guest.

Please advise. I really would like to get this fixed.
Drax

Re: Drag and drop Fails

Post by Drax »

Yet here you see that the additions are installed and showing/
Yet here you see that the additions are installed and showing/
Guest2web.jpg (122.54 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
Guest1web.jpg
Guest1web.jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
Here are some images that show the issue.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Sorry, but the answer is largely in your screen shots:

- 'Drag and Drop' is dependent on Guest Additions being installed in the Guest.
- There are no Guest Additions available for MacOS/Mac OS X Guests (yet), so they can't be installed.
- Therefore 'Drag and Drop' cannot work.

It's also covered in the VirtualBox User Guide - Known Limitations Section, where the MaxOS/Mac OS X Virtualisation is still described as 'experimental'.
alexrich12
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows Vista & 7 & Linux Debian & Mint

Post by alexrich12 »

You will need to install the guest additions before you can use Drag and Drop. And there are no MacOS additions currently available I think, you might want to try the latest version instead of 6.1.6 and try install MacOS guest additions there.
Thanks
alexrich12
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

There is a Darwin folder inside the Guest Additions ISO that loads into the guest-s CD drive when you use the guest Virtualbox window's Devices menu, Insert Guest Additions CD image. If the Darwin folder refers to Mac GAs and not a city in Australia, then you might look into it. Not all Guest Additions features are implemented in the Mac GAs.

fwiw, I have had Drag n drop seize up a guest with unceremonious kill-off required. Guest Additions Shared Folders, if possible in the Mac GAs, or a real shared folder through a Bridged or Host-Only network, is tremendously more reliable.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "OS X Guests" forum, since the problem is in the guest, not the host.

Also see the sticky at the top of the new forum, regarding what features work or not in the OS X Guest Additions (drag and drop is firmly in the "not" column). The version of OS X matters too - i.e. nothing at all works in Lion (10.7). And finally, notice that OS X GAs isn't even mentioned as a feature in the user manual yet.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Ok, How would it be in the screenshots? One says they aren't installed, the other says it is. Ran the installer and it went fine with no errors. If it has no MAC capability for any MAC OSX well then it would seem that VB would be intelligent enough then to simply not try to install them and to warn you that nothing works that you would want. networking to other machines on the network also muse be a guest addition.... LOL. Lion is irrelevent to the conversation as it really didn't work in ANY of the OSX Guest versions I installed from Lion to Mojave. I

guess it's off to Parallels or VMWare, that since being commercial they must have these core features.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll uninstall VB until it has true Mac support.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Drax wrote: I'll uninstall VB until it has true Mac support.
Yep. My guess is, it will become a priority the instant OS X overtakes Windows in the general (non Apple hardware) PC marketplace, so hang in there...