Screen Sharing Between Host and Guest (Both MacOS)

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
TYM8888

Screen Sharing Between Host and Guest (Both MacOS)

Post by TYM8888 »

Hi,

Please help access guest in host through screen sharing. I have tried by making sure firewall is off and then trying to connect to guest from host finder>go>connect to server>vncxxxx but it fails.

I have tried making bridge connection but failed there as well.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Screen Sharing Between Host and Guest (Both MacOS)

Post by scottgus1 »

If you want to use Virtualbox's Remote Desktop (RDP) server, so you can see the guest with a Microsoft Remote Desktop-compatible client app, you must install the Extension Pack with the same version number as the Virtualbox version you have installed.

You mention vnc, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09. ... erextpacks

On a Windows host, when the guest's Display settings, Remote Display, Enable Server is checked, and a unique port number is set, the host's RDP client can be pointed to:

127.0.0.1:portnumber

or

localhost:portnumber

When using the host's RDP client the host's firewall does not need to be set to allow this port number.

From other computers on the network, the host firewall has to allow 'portnumber' through the firewall, and the other computer's RDP client access the guest through:

host.ip.add.ress:portnumber

If you make a port-forwarding rule in your network's router to host.ip.add.ress:portnumber, then you can access your guest through:

your.public.ip.address:portnumber

Most of the above is typical network stuff, so it probably applies to Mac hosts too. If you are using the vnc extension pack, then you must use a vnc-compatible client.

If you are running a separate vnc or RDP server inside the guest OS, then you must have a Virtualbox network in your guest with Bridged, Nat or NAT-network, connected and allowing ping access. You set the port number in the guest's remote server settings independently from Virtualbox, not in the guest's Display settings. You must set up your guest OS's firewall to allow the port number you chose. If NAT or NAT-network, you must open the port number in the Virtualbox port forwarding settings for the NAT or NAT network. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures

If Bridged, access the guest directly through:

guest.ip.add.ress:portnumber

Under most cases Bridged sits before the host firewall so you should not have to open this portnumber in your host's firewall.

If NAT or NAT network, use:

host.ip.add.ress:portnumber

You might have to set the host firewall for NAT or NAT network for this setup. And you might have to open the firewall on a Mac for any of these setups; I don't know specifics about doing any of the above on a Mac.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Screen Sharing Between Host and Guest (Both MacOS)

Post by granada29 »

I use screen sharing between a Mac host and guest frequently. The process I follow is enumerated below.
  • Guest: is configured with Bridged network - gets IP address from DHCP server.
    Guest: System Preferences/Sharing - check 'Screen Sharing'
    Host: Open a Finder window and scroll left side panel down to Networking and select Networking
    Host: your guest should be visible in the right side of the Finder window - click on the sharing button
You will probably have to authenticate with your Guest login name and Password. After some time (up to a minute or so) the Screen sharing window should open.