Will VirtualBox support more features in OSX ?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ymg2006

Will VirtualBox support more features in OSX ?

Post by ymg2006 »

Hello ,
I wanted to ask is there any plans or milestone to support features like Drag and Drop & VirtualBox Shared Folders & 3D acceleration for catalina or even older versions ?
(VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg Installed)
Why virtualbox is far beyond from it's competitors like Fusion or Parallels in OSX guests contrariwise excelled and pioneered more in other guests like linux and windows ?
Isn't OSX guests as important as others like windows or linux or etc ?

Furthermore Why every time I apply some settings to a guest with warnings it automatically changes that warned setting ? This is annoying ,Please add something like stop warnings to change user altercations.
In attachment I demonstrated there is a 3d acceleration warning that changes my graphic card every time I apply something to it.
Please make this as an OPT for user, I know what I intend to do and I am sure about it and don't want virtual box edit that setting for me !
Make this as an option or a dialog box asks ignore warning or apply it.

Waiting for grate news of your's , I appreciate and gratitude all of your works done so far ,It's a great application.
Attachments
Annotation 2020-02-06 151459.png
Annotation 2020-02-06 151459.png (44.29 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Will VirtualBox support more features in OSX ?

Post by mpack »

ymg2006 wrote: Isn't OSX guests as important as others like windows or linux or etc ?
Heavens no, not even close. If OS X was an important as the others then obviously market forces would cause that to be reflected in developer priorities.

Here, on the other hand, is reality.

1. Take the entire population of computer users (ignore phones etc in this discussion).
2. Consider the fraction of (1) that owns Apple hardware as no-one else can legally use OS X.
3. Consider the fraction of (2) that is interested in running OS X in a VM, on Apple hardware (ask why?).
4. Consider the fraction of (3) that would choose VirtualBox over competing VM platforms.
5. Consider the fraction of (4) which is willing to pay for the privilege, since they are the only ones whose opinions count.

I believe the numbers became vanishingly small before we even reached that last one.
ymg2006

Post by ymg2006 »

I found your 5th statement offensive ,
free users opinions are not counted ? :(
If you don't listen to forum or free users , why did you created and why did you made it free ?

you know what, there are decisions that people are making when purchasing goods or softwares , they want best that they can afford , personally if there is imperfections I never pay.
so others offer best they can whether it's market is small or not, you stay there and watch their prosperity.
so it's your decsision to escalate our sound to programmers or suffocate us here.
ymg2006

Post by ymg2006 »

Ok if you peruse, there is another bug that i reported , consider that.
furthermore if there would be no improvements please cease and remove osx guest section from forum .
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ymg2006 wrote: free users opinions are not counted ? :(
Didn't I ask you to consider the real world? Not fantasy hippy land.

Free users are in effect just testers, the devs will likely hear their feedback (that's part of successful testing), however their suggestions for low market score new features are unlikely to be given high priority.

Successful feature suggestions will be either (a) very easy to do, even if the improvement is only marginal, or (b) likely to be indicative of something paying customers will also soon ask for. Writing GAs for OS X doesn't meet either criteria IMO.

And incidentally: this is a user to user forum. You are not speaking to an Oracle rep. So the things I say apply to your opinions also apply to mine. I'm just more realistic about it.
ymg2006

Post by ymg2006 »

So may i ask another thing ? don't write GA for mac guests.
I just figured out fusion tools are installing and working fine (mount darwin.iso and install vmware tools), it detects graphic card VMSVGA 256MB.
unfortunately cannot change resolution(they are greyed out) !
Drag and drop is not working !!
just don't stop mac guests to drag and drop and change resolutions.
file and clipboard sharing is working fine.
I realized linux open vm tools is completely compatible with virtualbox. everything working ok so the virtual box is implementing limitations for mac guests.
I deducted drag and drop and other features are disable by virtual box guest specific situations ,would you ask to renable it ? just don't disable it.