Installing Ubuntu Causes Screen to Go Black

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Valique

Installing Ubuntu Causes Screen to Go Black

Post by Valique »

I'm not entirely sure that I'm on the right board, so apologies if I'm not.

Essentially, I'm using a Macbook Pro to run a Linux Ubuntu (64-bit) virtual machine. I am using version 6.1 of Virtual Box and I'm trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I can get through most of the installation process okay, but my VM basically freezes once it gets to the copying files part of the process. After just a few minutes the screen goes black, and then I have to shut down the VM and start the whole process over again.

After my latest failed attempt at installing ubuntu, I killed the VM (no saving the state or anything like that, I just shut it down) and went into my log. I saved my "VBox.log" and have attached it below in case it might help.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Installing Ubuntu Causes Screen to Go Black

Post by mpack »

Post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Valique

Post by Valique »

Sorry, here's the file. I saved my previous post as a draft and didn't realize it was deleted.
Attachments
CSC412-2020-02-04-04-34-45.log.zip
(34.92 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Valique

Post by Valique »

I figured out the problem. I had to increase the base memory in my virtual machine's settings from 1GB to 2GB. Thank you for the help!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. I'm not convinced by that explanation, but thanks for reporting back anyway.