running different MacOS versions in Mac Mini

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
JoseV

running different MacOS versions in Mac Mini

Post by JoseV »

Hi,

I'm new with VirtualBox.

Let me tell you what would like to do. My old Macbook it's almost finished and I purchased a Mac Mini to use in a remote way from an iPad, but running three different OS versions for researching and development purposes: HighSierra, Mojave and Catalina. That is the reason to use VirtualBox. Questions:

-makes sense that kind of environment? Mac mini running several VMs and accessed from an iPad remotely.
-Mac mini it's a 2014 version i5 2.8Ghz, 16GB, Fusion Drive 1TB. OS Catalina 10.15.3
-wich tutorials could I follow to setup VirtualBox from scratch

Thanks for help
Jose
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: running different MacOS versions in Mac Mini

Post by mpack »

The User Manual is probably your best start.

There are also local copies of the user manual installed in the VirtualBox executables folder and the F1 help.

Whether your proposal makes sense is very much in the eye of the beholder. VirtualBox's support for OS X guests is quite limited, due mostly to Apple policy limiting the market. I expect that the VMs will at least run (one at a time).
JoseV

Post by JoseV »

mpack thanks for your reply.

I tried reading manual and using a couple of tutorials online, but I'm pretty sure am missing something important, because I tried setup VMs with the 3 OS versions needed: HSierra, Mojave and Catalina, and when starts VM always got this kind of screen, shell prompt, allowing access BIOS but doesn't start ISO, even if it is defined in VM and asked what media use first time it starts.

Thanks for help
Jose
JoseV

Post by JoseV »

Continue previous message, because it said there is a U-R-L in message, but not (Funny forum system doesn't likes U-R-L word)

In BIOS CD it's first of the list, ISOs are loaded in virtual drive, but always got same kind of screen.

Code: Select all

UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2.
EDK II
UEFI v2.70 (EDK II, 0x000100000)
Mapping Table
   BLK0: Alias(s):
           PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)
   BLK1: Alias(s)
           PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)
Pres ESC in 1 seconds to skip status.sh or any other key to continue
Shell>_

There are any specific tutorial to setup a Mac guest in a Mac host?

Thanks for help
Jose
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please pick one of the VMs and post a log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
JoseV

Post by JoseV »

Here is the zip.

Thansk
Jose
Attachments
Mojave3-2020-02-03-01-08-58.log.zip
(28.61 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not seeing any problem with the VM, except... I see you are booting from an ISO in a "Downloads" folder. Where did this ISO come from?
JoseV

Post by JoseV »

Hello, I did the ISO my self, left in the same folder where downloaded OS versions from Apple site.

I don't know if there is any problem with ISO, but I suspect there is something previous because I don't see any try to load anything. Just that prompt blinking.

Would need to setup something in BIOS? Could you recommend a step by step tutorial about how to setup a Mac OS, to check if I missed something?

I will try with Linux or something to check if there is a different behaviour.

Thanks
Jose
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

JoseV wrote:Could you recommend a step by step tutorial about how to setup a Mac OS, to check if I missed something?
I have a Windows/HP host so I'm legally prevented from knowing how to install OS X. One of ours mods is an OS X user and he wrote a tutorial that touches on similar subjects, it may be worth a read: How to Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app.
JoseV

Post by JoseV »

That is one of the tutorials I followed. Will try again and ask in that thread if needed.

Thanks for your help
Jose