Restore virtual machine from Time Machine

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Lastouille

Restore virtual machine from Time Machine

Post by Lastouille »

Dear all,

I have quite a big problem.
I'm running an Oracle database on a Linux Cent os virtual machine, on a OS X host.
We had a power failure last night. Database can't open.

I'm quite new to Virtual box, but the database isn't new so I'd like to recover the data, and I hadn't had time to setup some kind of automatic snapshot yet.

But I have automatic snapshot of the computer that includes the virtual machine files, made with Time Machine.

Question is : how can I recover the files with Time Machine, without creating any problem like corrupted files, timestamp problems ?

Thanks !
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Restore virtual machine from Time Machine

Post by socratis »

Lastouille wrote:Linux Cent os virtual machine, on a OS X host
Then this thread belongs to the "OSX Hosts" area, not the "OSX Guests" one, moving it accordingly.
Lastouille wrote:Oracle database on a Linux Cent os virtual machine, on a OS X host. We had a power failure last night. Database can't open.
Does the VM start at all? And it's simply the database that seems to be corrupt?
Lastouille wrote:I hadn't had time to setup some kind of automatic snapshot yet.
I really hope that you're not talking about the VirtualBox "Snapshot" feature, because VirtualBox Snapshots are NOT backups. See "Snapshot Basics".
Lastouille wrote:how can I recover the files with Time Machine, without creating any problem like corrupted files, timestamp problems ?
I would follow the following recipe:
  1. Quit VirtualBox. Count to 30, make sure the "VBoxSVC" process isn't running. If in doubt, reboot the computer.
  2. Move/rename the VM folder. I'm assuming that you haven't move things manually. If in doubt post "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" and the VM's .vbox file; right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder". That .vbox file...
  3. Restore the VM's backup folder from the TimeMachine.
  4. Verify that starting VirtualBox lists your VM.
  5. Launch the VM...
If at any of these steps you find something not working, or you're getting an error, stop and describe the error and the situation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.