Mouse integration keeps spontaneously turning off, and mouse pointer freezes

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Codeswitcher
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS 10.6.8

Mouse integration keeps spontaneously turning off, and mouse pointer freezes

Post by Codeswitcher »

Host: a brand new MacBook Pro running Catalina (10.15.1). Guest: Snow Leopard (10.6.8 ) 64 bit.

When mouse integration is working, it works great. It's just that keeps spontanouelsy turning off or crapping out or something. Icon in the toolbar greys out, and when I click on it it shows "Mouse Integration" with a check mark, but also greyed out.

When this happens - at least usually, if not always - then the mouse pointer in the guest window also freezes, and I don't know how to get control back. I've tried various things, like toggling whether my external pointer device (I have an external trackball plugged in, in addition to the on-board trackpad) is mapped to the guest; a couple of times, that seems to have worked - or it was a coincidence and just started working regardless of doing that.

Or what just happened to me: I toggled dedicating the trackball to the guest back on, and I had control of the mouse pointer in the guest window for about five seconds - I moved a window a bit, I attempted to click on my downloads folder – and then it seized right back up.

The host button continues to work, I don't have trouble getting my mouse pointer back out of the guest window. I just can't do anything inside it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mouse integration keeps spontaneously turning off, and mouse pointer freezes

Post by socratis »

I want to see the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.

BTW, I've never, *ever* messed up with Mouse Integration. Guess what... I've never had a problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaldo

Re: Mouse integration keeps spontaneously turning off, and mouse pointer freezes

Post by michaldo »

Hi

I have similar problem: after some time mouse pointer on guest system does not work.

The workaround is known, but hard to find: virtualbox ticket 14743

So: If mouse is lost, killing process helps:

Code: Select all

dev  > ps -ef | grep drag
dev       1332     1  0 Jan10 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop
dev       1333  1332  0 Jan10 ?        00:03:48 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop
dev       5500 19335  0 11:30 pts/3    00:00:00 grep drag
dev > kill 1333
Last edited by socratis on 12. Feb 2020, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.