[Solved] Mavericks Host For Snow Leopard

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
VirtualDillo

[Solved] Mavericks Host For Snow Leopard

Post by VirtualDillo »

I want to host a Snow Leopard VM from OS X Mavericks. What version of VB/installation procedure should I use? I haven't been able to get it to work so far.
Thanks for your suggestions...

OS X 10.9.5
Mac Pro 2010
32G RAM
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2019, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mavericks Host For Snow Leopard

Post by socratis »

VirtualDillo wrote:I haven't been able to get it to work so far.
The difficult part these days is actually getting 10.6, because Apple seems that has stopped selling them. :evil:

Do you have the originals? Because if you try to download anything from the Internet, it's going to be a Hackintosh most probably...
VirtualDillo wrote:What version of VB/installation procedure should I use?
I use the latest beta, so that pretty much means whatever you want. As for the procedure, it's just a standard, straight-forward Guest installation once you have the ISO.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtualDillo

Post by VirtualDillo »

Thanks for your reply. I have several OEM versions of the Snow Leopard install disc, actually, so no problem there. Maybe I just screwed up the installation procedure. I'll give it another shot :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualDillo wrote: I have several OEM versions of the Snow Leopard install disc
OEM versions of the Snow Leopard installation?!?! :shock:

I'm sorry, but what in the seven kingdoms are you referring to? There's only one ... "OEM" for Apple OSX 10.6 software; Apple. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtualDillo

Post by VirtualDillo »

Yes, they're all Apple OEM ;) I've reached the point in the OS X installation process where it asks me where I want to install the system. The box which should show the available disks is empty. Note: My folder for the VM and disk are outside the Home folder, but on the same disc.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

If I remember correctly, at some time when the OS X installer has been started, you have to select the Disk Utility from the OS X menu and prepare (partition/format) the disk. This time should be about zero, one or two mouse clicks before your current position in the installation process.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualDillo wrote:Yes, they're all Apple OEM ;)
I hope that the "wink" smiley doesn't mean that you're trying a Hackintosh OEM installation...
VirtualDillo wrote:Note: My folder for the VM and disk are outside the Home folder, but on the same disc.
This has nothing to do with the situation, the VM folder and disk could be in the other side of the planet, as long as you had constant access to them by some networking means.
fth0 wrote:when the OS X installer has been started, you have to select the Disk Utility from the OS X menu and prepare (partition/format) the disk
Can't remember the 10.6 installer doing what you're suggesting, I think it was the 10.13 one only, and that got fixed with 10.13.2. See note #3 in the [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM thread. I'll have to double-check for the 10.6 installer...
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

socratis wrote:Can't remember the 10.6 installer doing what you're suggesting,
I've been referring to the general case of installing any OS X version on any physical (or virtual) hard disk that is unformatted at the time when the OS X installer app is started. AFAIK, the installer only offers the hard disk volumes that are already formatted with an acceptable file system, and in the menu of the OS X installer app you can select to start the Disk Utility application to partition/format the hard disk as a preparation step and return to the OS X installer app afterwards, to be offered the newly formatted and acceptable hard disk volumes then. My own experience comes from installing OS X (10.7/8/9/10/11?) on an external hard disk pre-formatted with FAT32 (or even unformatted) several years ago, and because a new virtual hard disk is unformatted ...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fth0 wrote:AFAIK, the installer only offers the hard disk volumes that are already formatted with an acceptable file system
You're right, I got confused. :?

I was thinking about the fact that the 10.13 installer would not even show the available disks from the get-go, you had to go to the Devices » Show all disks, to actually see the disk to be formatted...
VirtualDillo

Post by VirtualDillo »

So I need to format the .vdi disk created by VB? Disk Utility does not see the .vdi disc as a formattable volume. (and BTW, yes all my installer discs are Apple OEM, I'm not hacking anything)

OK, I take that back. Disk Utility from _within_ the installer sees it, and I have formatted it. It's installing now :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualDillo wrote:Disk Utility does not see the .vdi disc as a formattable volume
You're confusing the real-world with the virtual-world. Once you're in a VM you got to stop thinking about your Host for a moment and focus only on the Guest.

The "Disk Utility" that both 'fth0' and yours truly are referring to, is the "Disk Utility" of the Guest OS, not the Host. Access the "Disk Utility" from the Guest.
 Edit:  
I see you found it while I was typing... ;)
VirtualDillo

Post by VirtualDillo »

I've got it running! Thanks so much for all your help, folks :-)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you did, marking as [Solved].

Oh, and BTW, moving the whole thread to the "OSX Guests" area, from the "OSX Hosts" one...