[WorksForMe] Can't get past "Waiting on root device"

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ReMa

[WorksForMe] Can't get past "Waiting on root device"

Post by ReMa »

Hi, everyone! I have to do a project at University where we create a mac os high sierra virtual machine.
I have a macbook pro 15 retina 2012 running mojave currently. I downloaded the official version of High Sierra from App Store and converted it to .cdr.
When starting the machine, i get to the point where it shows "HID: Legacy Shim 2" and "waiting on root device". Then it freezes and letters get distorted. Nothing happens.

I'm suspecting that something might be wrong with my configuration but I don't know where to look and changed various settings like usb, chipsets e.t.c. already.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Dec 2019, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't get past "Waiting on root device"

Post by socratis »

ReMa wrote:I downloaded the official version of High Sierra from App Store and converted it to .cdr
How exactly did you do that?

Have a look at 1) [HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app (note the 1st post, it has a link to an App that does that) and 2) [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ReMa

Post by ReMa »

Most likely I did it wrong! :) Thanks for the links, It worked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going, marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.