HighSierra VirtualBox run on MAC Catalina - no sound output

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Steph13

HighSierra VirtualBox run on MAC Catalina - no sound output

Post by Steph13 »

Hi,

Just so you know from the start, I don't understand anything about computers. Anything I do is Googled or follows a YouTube tutorial.

I updated my MAC to Catalina & then was told it can't run 32 bit programs, which means I can't play Good Old Games' "Zeus/Poseidon" via the Porting Kit anymore.

I followed a YouTube tutoiral "How to: Run 32-bit apps in macOS Catalina" by "TechCoreDuo" to make a VirtualBox that the porting kit can work on again. Everything seems fine except I can't get the sound to work in the VirtualBox.

I've never had any sound issues on the actual Mac, it's only an issue in the VirtualBox even though the output sound was enabled when setting it up.

Do anyone know how to fix it? I've attached a couple of screen shots to show you what i've been talking about & a ZIP file of the VirtualBox Log.

Thanks,
Steph
setting up the virtual box
setting up the virtual box
1. highsierra audio.png (36.32 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
No Output Devices Found. in my actual Mac's settings, it uses the Internal Built-In Speakers.
No Output Devices Found. in my actual Mac's settings, it uses the Internal Built-In Speakers.
3. sound output.png (40.69 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
*EDIT* - seperate issue - I downloaded the porting kit & installed the game as per the instructions. It launches but as it's opening it just shuts randomly after 5-10 seconds.
So that doesn't work either.

UGH is there a way to downgrade from Catalina instead? I shouldn't have updated in the first place.
Attachments
HighSierra-2019-11-27-19-45-16.log.zip
HighSierra VirtualBox Log
(30.19 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: HighSierra VirtualBox run on MAC Catalina - no sound output

Post by socratis »

Steph13 wrote:I followed a YouTube tutoiral "How to: Run 32-bit apps in macOS Catalina" by "TechCoreDuo"
That's a Hackintosh (look it up) installation, not an OSX installation. It's not supported. You need to install the official OSX, see [HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app and [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM. For more information take a look at OSX guests on non-Apple hardware. And yes, you might be on Apple hardware, but this is not OSX that you're trying to install, it's a hacked, not supported version.

Locking this, moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts", the problem is with the guest.
Steph13 wrote:is there a way to downgrade from Catalina instead?
I don't know what happens if you try the 10.14 installer on a 10.15 installation. Most probably it will fail. What you could do is to install 10.14 on an external HD/stick, boot from that and install 10.14 on the Mac. If it's possible. Otherwise ask Apple...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.