Is it possible to move a .vmdk file after installation ?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Cottonwoodhill

Is it possible to move a .vmdk file after installation ?

Post by Cottonwoodhill »

Hi all,

I'm back here to learn and unfortunately with a new issue.

Last time I posted here I got some great help from @mpack and I would like to thank him again for that.

Today, I would like to know if it is possible to move a file used during the installation (VirtualBox Boot.vmdk) of a virtual machine macOs Ctalina 10.15.

In fact, I would like to move it to my main folder in which all the files related to that Virtual Machine in particular are.

Is there a way I can move it without having to reinstall my Virtual Machine ? If I move it manually or change the path of the file manually in the .vbox file, I get the following error.
Can't open G:\Virtual Machines\mac OS X\macOS Catalina - 10.15\VirtualBox Boot.vmdk.

Cannot register the hard disk 'G:\Virtual Machines\mac OS X\macOS Catalina - 10.15\VirtualBox Boot.vmdk' {4b77acfa-eac9-4045-8c5e-aebafb037df1} because a hard disk 'D:\Downloads\Torrent\Pack Catalina VirtualBox - tech2tech.fr\VirtualBox Boot.vmdk' with UUID {4b77acfa-eac9-4045-8c5e-aebafb037df1} already exists

Code d'erreur : E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Composant : VirtualBoxWrap
Interface : IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Code retourné : VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Thank you in advance for your support and best regards.
2.JPG
2.JPG (54.2 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (16.65 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Attachments
macOS Catalina - 10.15.rar
My macOS Catalina - 10.15.vbox
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Is it possible to move a .vmdk file after installation ?

Post by socratis »

OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). I recently made the "OSX guests on non-Apple hardware" a Global post, which means it shows as first on every forum area, makes me wonder how come you missed it...

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "Windows Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.