El Capitan installer application failure

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
DashingDave

El Capitan installer application failure

Post by DashingDave »

I can't get an .iso from using InstallerApp2ISO with the El Capitan installer to work (nor can I upgrade any other VM that I create with a lesser OS [Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite] to El Capitan using said installer application). I get an error during installation (after the erase-disk-with-Disk-Utility portion) indicating that I should contact the software manufacturer about a problem with the installer.

I've already attempted to download a fresh Installer from the App Store using a lower-OS VM, copying it to my Mac host, and InstallerApp2ISO'ing it, but it produces the same issue.

It should be noted that a had an El Capitan .iso that worked a couple weeks ago, but, after upgrading VB to 6.0.14, none of the installers for OS 10.11 and up worked. (I tried deleting every virtualbox file from my Mac and reinstalling 6.0.12, but I had the same issue, so I just installed the .14 update again afterwards.)

Settings I changed from the default when setting up the ElCapitanTest VM:
RAM -> 4096
VRAM -> 128
Boot Order -> Optical, Hard Disk
SATA Port 1 [Optical Drive] -> 10.11.6.iso

This VM used the generic Mac OS X (64-bit) template, but the same error occurs with the El Capitan template as well.
Screen Shot.jpg
Screen Shot.jpg (105.8 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
[ModEdit; Two-parts log, for a known failure, don't add anything, except wasted space on the server. Deleted...]
Last edited by socratis on 7. Nov 2019, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: El Capitan installer application failure

Post by granada29 »

This is most likely because the code-signing certificates in this version of the macOS Installer expired on 24 October 2019. Apple posted updated versions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208052 on 30 October

Alternatively - before beginning the install, disconnect your mac from the internet, set the clock to a date before 24 Oct 2019, and perform the installation.

When the install has completed, don't forget to reset your clock and reconnect to internet.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

As 'granada29' said, old installers have expired, this is going to become a real issue. We need to update the instructions it seems...
DashingDave wrote:indicating that I should contact the software manufacturer about a problem with the installer
Call Apple. Tell them to make *all* older installers available, not just ≥ 10.10...

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DashingDave

Post by DashingDave »

socratis wrote:PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Gah! That's what I forgot to do. Sorry about that.

Updating the situation, the new installer worked (though to get to the chewy center--the actual installer application--I had to run the .pkg on a VM < El Capitan, copy the installer application back to my host, and then run it through InstallerApp2ISO) in .iso form. However, it didn't work when I tried to update a VM running 10.7--after the initial, quick installation screen, it never gets back to the installer. Just hangs. After shutting it down and starting it up again, the VM was still running 10.7.

If that's something that shouldn't be happening, let me know and I'll run the scenario again to get you a (...zipped) log file.