UUID already exists 0x80070057

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
DeGarcen

Re: UUID already exists 0x80070057

Post by DeGarcen »

@mpack I didn't know there were paid support for Virtualbox, and now that I look for it I've found "Oracle VM VirtualBox Enterprise" which seems unrelated to me, since I'm a home user. "Oracle VM Premier Support" is oriented to server virtualization and cloud services which I don't know if they even relate to the issue I describe.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). I recently made the "OSX guests on non-Apple hardware" a Global post, which means it shows as first on every forum area, makes me wonder how come you missed it... :roll:

Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this issue on these forums (all of them locked, hoping that someone will get the hint), but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "Linux Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And just to address a couple of issues...
mpack wrote:I'm not sure ejecting would help in this case, as that still leaves the media registered.
That doesn't cause a problem. It could cause a problem if 1) the GAs ISO is mounted, 2) you already had a registered GAs ISO to the host.

Example: I create a VM on an OSX host. I mount the GAs. I take the whole VM directory and copy it to a Windows|Linux host. If the GAs ISO is already registered in the new host (VirtualMediaManager) then I'm going to have a UUID conflict, not a path issue. And the new VM will fail to register. Removing the GAs as a registered media on the new host, restores sanity.
DeGarcen wrote:
mpack wrote:As far as I can recall, there is nowhere in the docs where it's claimed that guests are multi-platform. Only the software itself is.
Well, that has to change.
As another user famously said:
mpack wrote: :D !! Sez you?
Why does it "have to" change? Based on how many users demand it? A) so far it's only you (or close) and B) no matter if it's 1000 users, then still (1000 users) x (0 $/€/£/¥) = 0.

If you want to tell Oracle how to invest development resources, don't do it on this (or any other) forum, as that's just a waste of bandwidth. Go through your Oracle support representative instead.
DeGarcen wrote:now that I look for it I've found "Oracle VM VirtualBox Enterprise" which seems unrelated to me, since I'm a home user.
That's the one! It doesn't matter if you're home or developer or enterprise. If you want support, if you want your voice to have a chance to be heard, that's the option you're looking for! Prices start at 6100 $ as of this writing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.