Anyone had success getting AirDrop to work?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
SteveMacGeek

Anyone had success getting AirDrop to work?

Post by SteveMacGeek »

I would've thought that getting AirDrop to work between a Mojave Host and a Mojave Guest would've been a no-brainer. But apparently not.

I've tried the oft-recommended command line to enable AirDrop on Mojave, but it doesn't really work:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1
Anyone have any success with getting AirDrop to work?

Stephen
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Anyone had success getting AirDrop to work?

Post by fth0 »

SteveMacGeek wrote:I would've thought that getting AirDrop to work between a Mojave Host and a Mojave Guest would've been a no-brainer.
I don't have a straight answer for you, but instead a question that maybe can help: Where are the two wireless end points in your setup? ;)
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

So what I'm hoping to do is to AirDrop between the Mojave Host and the Mojave Guest, which are of course on the exact same machine. I was led to believe that if the two were on the same network, then of course AirDrop could work.

Is it correct that by default, the Guest is "connected" to the network of the Host as if by ethernet? If so, then how would I determine what the endpoints would be?

Stephen
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

AirDrop is based on Wi-Fi (or bluetooth), using the AWDL (Apple Wireless Direct Link) protocol, which establishes a wireless network connection. You usually don't have a wireless (or bluetooth) network between the guest and the host, because you'd need two real wireless (or bluetooth) adapters for that. My question hinted at that.

There exists a possibility to use AirDrop over Ethernet (see https://www.lifewire.com/airdrop-with-w ... on-2259801), but it's not without its own problems (since it was not intended to be used by Apple).
SteveMacGeek wrote:Is it correct that by default, the Guest is "connected" to the network of the Host as if by ethernet?
This depends on the network configuration of the VM and the guest OS, see VirtualBox Networking Modes.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:Is it correct that by default, the Guest is "connected" to the network of the Host as if by ethernet?
Not by default, it's the only way. There's no wireless network in a VM. Not unless you use a USB-to-WiFi adapter that you capture in your VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

OK, thanks -- we've put together instructions for users to set up File Sharing for a folder between the Host (Catalina) and the Guest (Mojave), so I guess that'll have to suffice as a transfer method. It's a 13-step process, however...

...If only the Guest Additions "VirtualBox Shared Folders" feature actually worked for Mojave, then none of those steps would be necessary.

I guess time will tell if Mojave is truly supported as a VM.

Stephen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:It's a 13-step process, however...
Can I see the steps? Because on my mind there are 2...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

@socratis --
Can I see the steps? Because on my mind there are 2...
Sure -- any suggestions on making the process simpler is appreciated:

https://techsupport.screenplay.com/hc/e ... 0035782711

Stephen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If a "click" is a step, then yes, you'll need 13 of them.

My idea was:
  1. System Preferences » Sharing » Enable File Sharing, for both Host and Guest.
  2. Go to the Finder » Bonjour computers.
Done.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

I know our users need every step to be "hand held". But I didn't think I did:
Go to the Finder » Bonjour computers.
So I have Bonjour Computers checked as a view option in Finder Preferences. And I assume you meant, "look in the Finder window sidebar for the shared computer/folder under Locations." But I didn't see any listed there because I had never logged in and saved my password.

Under Locations > Network, I did, of course, see the shared computer, which I then double-clicked, pressed the Connect button, logged in, and saved my password.

Now the "Bonjour" computer shows in the sidebar, and clicking it mounted the SMB shared volume(s) / folder(s).

So once a user has done this process for the first time, the process is trivial, since the File Sharing is persistent and the password has been remembered. But it's that "first time" that users need each and every step spelled out.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, you might be right here, haven't tried the 10.14/10.15 combination. Things might have changed...
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

What combination were you trying it on (or thinking about trying it on)? I was looking at 10.14 Host / 10.14 Guest, though our clients would be 10.15 Host, 10.14 Guest.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

On my 10.11.6 host, I turn off the "Finder Preferences" » "Sidebar" » "Bonjour computers", just because I don't like my sidebar to grow/shrink when it feels like it. That give me a "Shared" » "All..." fixed entry which when selected gives me all the computer in the network, be it real on virtual. I see my MBPs, I see my VMs, my TimeCapsules, my PC, the VMs on my PC... everything.

Thankfully I've followed a naming convention that distinguishes them... ;)

PS. I have Avahi/Bonjour installed on my PC.