Virtual Monitor Resulotion

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
rhnnet

Virtual Monitor Resulotion

Post by rhnnet »

Sorry for my topic, but I tested all proposals in threads I found in the net.

I use Virtualbox to work with Adobe CS5.1 under OS X 10.9. This works fine till I updated from OS X 10.15 to 10.16. Now, I cann't change the resolution in Virtual Monitor. I always get the resulotion of 1024x768. All possible resulotions in Virtual Monitor are grayed out. This is very crazy for work with CS5.1.

VBoxManage setextradata "MACOS64" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1200 works and set the input in MACOS64.vbox. But this will be ignored during start the VM. After schutdown the line <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution" value="1920x1200"/> in .vbox is away.

What can I do? Thanks for help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Monitor Resulotion

Post by socratis »

rhnnet wrote:This works fine till I updated from OS X 10.15 to 10.16
10.16 is out? :o

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rhnnet

Post by rhnnet »

Here the logfile. Hope you can help.
Thanks!

Remark: with update from Mac OS X 10.14 to 10.15 I also update to Virtualbox Version 6.0.14 r133895
Attachments
MACOS64-2019-10-29-19-11-04.log.zip
(30.16 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
rhnnet

Post by rhnnet »

I install Virtualbox to the version 10.12 that works fine under OS X 10.14. It's the same: all possinle resulution grayed out. With Virtualbox versions before 10.14 it is not possible to shutdown the VM correctly under OS X 10.15 . At the end is an error during mounting.

If going twice on "Virtual Montor 1" I get all resulutions and I can chosse 1920x1200 but nothing happens. Next time all resultion are grayed out ...

Could be anything wrong with the rights?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you please get your numbers straight? You're confusing the heck out of the thread! You can't expect real help if you can't even get the version correctly!
  1. There is no OSX 10.16.
  2. There is no VirtualBox 10.12, or VirtualBox 10.14
I'm going to give you a chance to edit your message and fix it so that we know what you're talking about.

In the mean time, moving the thread to "OSX Hosts" from "OSX pre-releases". You're not running a pre-release OSX version, you're on 10.15 (Catalina).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

After a more detailed analysis of the logs, this turns out to be a Hackintosh installation of OSX. I personally wouldn't have a moral or ethical problem with that, but we can't allow this on the VirtualBox forums. Locking this, moving it to "OSX Guests".