Installing 10.14.6 fails when trying to create VDI

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
SteveMacGeek

Installing 10.14.6 fails when trying to create VDI

Post by SteveMacGeek »

ModEdit; split from viewtopic.php?f=22&t=95161
Not sure if this is the right place / thread to ask, but...

Downloaded and ran on Mojave 10.14.6 installer. Created ISO, but if I try to create .vdi, I get:

Code: Select all

Error: Cannot locate driver: 

/Volumes/macOS Base System/usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi
I guess the right thing to do would be to email Bryan?

Stephen
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing 10.14.6 fails when trying to create VDI

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:Not sure if this is the right place / thread to ask, but...
Nah, "the carpet didn't match the drapes", we like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)
SteveMacGeek wrote:I guess the right thing to do would be to email Bryan?
I'll ping him, he's registered here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

SteveMacGeek wrote:

Code: Select all

Error: Cannot locate driver: 

/Volumes/macOS Base System/usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi
Just try re-running it. I have seen this happen on occasion and it seems to be a small timing hole. I really need to track that down.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Just try re-running it. I have seen this happen on occasion and it seems to be a small timing hole.
Per Bryan's suggestion, re-running the process seemed to work. And yes, it took a Really Long Time. However, my 2015 iMac, where I'm running VirtualBox and InstallerApp2ISO, is booting Mojave from an external Thunderbolt 2 La Cie drive, so that's probably part of the slowness..

I'm on the second re-boot where the Mojave installer is supposed to "complete" its process.
 Edit:  
It's moving VERY slowly, progressing around 15% after 2 full hours! Although the installer says "14 minutes remaining", at this rate, it may take around another 8-10 hours.

UPDATE: After 12 hours, the Mojave didn't get past 40%, so I stopped the VM, and set the CPUs to 3 and doubled the memory to 8GB. That did the trick, and I was able to install Mojave 10.14.6. I have to say it runs nicely.

I was able to mount the Guest Additions from 6.0.14, however when attempting to install them, I got a "System Extension Blocked" alert: "A program tried to load one or more system extensions that are incompatible with this version of MacOS. Please contact Oracle America, Inc" for support". I'll open a new post for that issue.

Stephen