[Resolved] Command key will NOT work inside Guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
SteveMacGeek

[Resolved] Command key will NOT work inside Guest

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Running High Sierra guest on a MacOS Mojave host. This is VirtualBox 6.0.12.

Whenever I try to use a command key combination, it gets picked up by VirtualBox and NOT the actual host. For example, if I select a document in the finder, COMMAND+I will NOT bring top Get Info.

I'm pretty sure I have the Guest Additions installed.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the HOST key also being the COMMAND key? Is there a way to change that?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Oct 2019, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Command key will NOT work inside Guest

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:I'm guessing this has something to do with the HOST key also being the COMMAND key? Is there a way to change that?
If you're pressing the wrong command key, yes. :)

Go to the VirtualBox Preferences (not the VM Settings) » Input » Virtual Machine » Host Key Combination » click on the right-side cell » change the key.

Choose something that you use rarely, I usually prefer the RightCmd key. It's close to my thumb, and that frees the LeftCmd key. Another favorite is the RightAlt, which I wasn't using too much either, but it was conflicting with my multi-language layout.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Fantastic! That totally solved the problem! Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad I could be of assistance. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.