Upgrade Mojava To Catalina Via OSX, Nothing happens

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
chitgoks

Upgrade Mojava To Catalina Via OSX, Nothing happens

Post by chitgoks »

So i downloaded catalina via the update inside OSX VM under Windows 10 environment.

it installs, then reboots but it is still Mojave, and not Catalina. Anyone experienced this? Really got no idea what to do next.

VirtualBox is v6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.6.2)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Upgrade Mojava To Catalina Via OSX, Nothing happens

Post by socratis »

chitgoks wrote:inside OSX VM under Windows 10 environment
Can you explain that a bit better? I'm ... confused. ;)

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chitgoks

Post by chitgoks »

i will get back and check. im new to vbox. thank you
funny, because i accidently chose the mojave update 10.14.6 instead and it deleted the whole 8gb download of catalina in the system update window. ill probably try the mojave update instead since it's only 2gb

im only after xcode so i could test ios13.

with regards to catalina, i downloaded the installer from the system update window, then install it then it restarts and after that it is still mojave, i figure osx never proceeded to install catalina. so when i go back to system update window again, it asks me to install catalina (since it already downloaded the installer).
chitgoks

Post by chitgoks »

Attached is the log file.
Attachments
Mac OSX-2019-10-16-07-34-27.rar
(37.26 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Two things:

1. You're in the wrong forum - you have a macOS guest and not a macOS host.
2. It looks suspiciously like you are not running on Apple hardware. You won't get support from any VirtualBox/Oracle forum unless you can prove you are in fact using Apple hardware. Otherwise you are in breach of Apples licensing terms.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

granada29 wrote:You're in the wrong forum - you have a macOS guest and not a macOS host.
Thanks 'granada29', moving it accordingly...
granada29 wrote:It looks suspiciously like you are not running on Apple hardware
I'd take it one step further; blatantly! :)

@'chitgoks'
OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). I recently made the "OSX guests on non-Apple hardware" a Global post, which means it shows as first on every forum area, makes me wonder how come you missed it... :roll:

Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this issue on these forums (all of them locked, hoping that someone will get the hint), but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.