[WorksForMe] Running OSX guests on non-OSX Host, on Apple hardware

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
pazzoide

[WorksForMe] Running OSX guests on non-OSX Host, on Apple hardware

Post by pazzoide »

Ok I'm on a iMac late 2012, reborn with linux Mint I use it for everyday work. I just need to virtualize OsX for sometimes it can be helpful. I thought it would be easy, but... it's not! I'm able to virtualize any windows machine (from XP to Win 10), and any Linux I tried.

OK, first of all:
In the really rare case (0.001%) that you are actually dealing with an Apple computer, in which you have installed Windows/Linux/other, and you're trying to boot a legitimate OSX guest and not a Hackintosh, we'll remedy the situation. Be prepared to provide solid evidence in such a case.
What kind of evidence do you need?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Oct 2019, 12:41, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Running OSX guests on non-OSX Host, on Apple hardware

Post by Martin »

Start with a zipped logfile from a failed try to run such a VM ;)
("Upload attachment" tab below the reply entry field here)
pazzoide

Post by pazzoide »

Never mind, I managed to make it work alone :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It's not anything special, if you have an Apple computer OSX guests should run like any other guest actually. And I really hope that the "I managed to make it work" doesn't mean a Hackintosh...

BTW, I changed the title of the thread from "Apple Hardware Here, really" to something more... meaningful, try to think of future searchers.

Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pazzoide

Re: [WorksForMe] Running OSX guests on non-OSX Host, on Apple hardware

Post by pazzoide »

Yep I'm actually on iMac, but I'm running linux since so much time I couldn't find a way to download OSX without being into OSX. I did have a iso/usb with High Sierra on it but couldn't make the installer start.

Anyway, I found an old OSX VM I made long time ago and managed to restore it.
pazzoide

Post by pazzoide »

I managed to make Catalina working. One thing I did not find googling is how to resize the guest osx to reach full monitor resolution (or almost). As I could see there is no guest additions for OSX in order to auto-resize the guest VM on the fly, right?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pazzoide wrote:I managed to make Catalina working.
I sincerely hope you're not talking about a Hackintosh installation...
pazzoide wrote:One thing I did not find googling is how to resize the guest osx to reach full monitor resolution (or almost).
Did you consider trying searching the User Manual? Ch. 3.14.1. Video Modes in EFI?
pazzoide wrote:I could see there is no guest additions for OSX in order to auto-resize the guest VM on the fly, right?
Not quite. There are Guest Additions for OSX, but they don't include the advanced/enhanced graphics support. See "OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working".

But it seems that we're getting away from the thread's title now. We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule, we're not going to solve all your problems in one thread... ;)

If you have any other "OSX Guests" question, open a new thread in that sub-forum. Come to think of it, I'm moving this thread there as well, from the "Linux Hosts" section...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pazzoide

Post by pazzoide »

Ok I'll open more threads in case I need.

But really, what kind of evidence do you need I'm actually on Apple hardware!?! Check the attached file! (and yes my iMac is kept togheter by clothespins)
IMG_20191019_120331.jpg
IMG_20191019_120331.jpg (101.1 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Anyway thanks for the links, I'll read them
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pazzoide wrote:But really, what kind of evidence do you need I'm actually on Apple hardware!?!
When needed, the evidence will be in the log, no need to provide anything at this point, it's premature. But I really appreciate the effort and the picture!
pazzoide wrote:and yes my iMac is kept togheter by clothespins
:lol:

Mine (MacBookPro11,5/15"/2015) had a battery that got "impregnated" this summer, and it actually managed to "unbolt" the screws on the front side; pop, pop, pop, pop, first thing in the morning!

The MBP had (for about a month till the new battery came in) an opening in the front of about 5 cm, with the battery looking at me straight in the face! Yes, it was borderline dangerous... :o