[Resolved] How do I change the Display Resolution on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 Guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
RealJamesDean

[Resolved] How do I change the Display Resolution on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 Guest

Post by RealJamesDean »

Yes, it's on a Mac Host. MacBookPro15,2

How do I change the Display Resolution on a Mojave Guest?

I tried:
VBoxManage setextradata waxapple "CustomVideoMode1" 1680x1050x24
VBoxManage setextradata waxapple "CustomVideoMode1" 1280x800x24
both with no effect.
and that corrected the EFI and boot screens, but not the GUI Display which seems to be stuck on 1024x768
Guest additions are allegedly loaded
Attachments
VBox.log.7z
(30.01 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Oct 2019, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How do I change the Display Resolution on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 Guest

Post by socratis »

RealJamesDean wrote:Guest additions are allegedly loaded
The GAs won't help you, there are no enhanced graphics support for OSX guests.

The changes that you applied don't count for EFI guests. You need to read the following from the User Manual: 3.14.1. Video Modes in EFI.

I want to see the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RealJamesDean

Post by RealJamesDean »

Ok, that makes sense. Excuse me while I facepalm and RTFM.

Will try the correct EFI video mode settings ASAP. On my iPhone right now.

It doesn’t help that most of the “cookbook” stuff Google turns up for MacOS guests is for (illegal) non MacOS hosts. So in my ignorance I’m quite sure my .vbox file contains some settings that are supposed to “spoof” whatever mechanism MacOS uses to detect genuine Mac hardware. So please let me know what’s superfluous in the .vbox file when I upload it? The guest is reporting the correct host MBP model type, so it’s pointless anyway.

Audio support appears to be MIA as well, is there a trick to that?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RealJamesDean wrote:It doesn’t help that most of the “cookbook” stuff Google turns up for MacOS guests is for (illegal) non MacOS hosts
Tell me about it... Just count the locked threads in the OSX Guests area... :roll:
RealJamesDean wrote:let me know what’s superfluous in the .vbox file when I upload it?
Most certainly!
RealJamesDean wrote:Audio support appears to be MIA as well, is there a trick to that?
I need to see the .vbox file in conjunction with the existing log...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RealJamesDean

Post by RealJamesDean »

OK, it looks like:
VBoxManage setextradata waxapple VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1680x1050
Fixed that. I'm guessing there's no way to change resolution from inside the MacOS Guest?

.vbox attached.
Attachments
waxapple.vbox.zip
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Last edited by socratis on 12. Oct 2019, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
RealJamesDean

Post by RealJamesDean »

One more persistent weirdness:

If I save the Machine State and then restore, the VM resumes, but no longer accepts input from either the mouse or keyboard.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

So @RealJamesDean, were you ABLE to change the on-screen resolution of your MacOS guest? Did that command line actually work?
SteveMacGeek

Proper Settings for 1440 x 900 (or greater) MacOS guest/host

Post by SteveMacGeek »

My apologies off this has been covered, but I couldn't tell if the posted solutions worked:

We have a High Sierra GUEST running on Mojave HOST (and hopefully, running on a Catalina HOST, when Catalina VirtualBox is ready). The default is 1024 x 768.

Really need for it to be much higher, but would be happy with at least 1440 x 900.

Which of the various display drivers should be selected? Then how do we set the desired resolution?

I saw that with some drivers, 2D acceleration in the guest's settings is NOT available. Should it be when running on a modern Retina MacBook Pro?

On a RETINA Mac host (running Mojave or Catalina), will the display of the guest be "retina"? Or should the resolution be raised and then scaled to 200%?

Stephen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RealJamesDean wrote:Fixed that.
Cool, marking the thread as [WorksForMe].
RealJamesDean wrote:I'm guessing there's no way to change resolution from inside the MacOS Guest?
No. It's fixed, set from the command line that you used.
RealJamesDean wrote:.vbox attached.
Thank you!
RealJamesDean wrote:One more persistent weirdness:
We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)
RealJamesDean wrote:If I save the Machine State and then restore, the VM resumes, but no longer accepts input from either the mouse or keyboard.
I would tell you to "please open a new thread with a matching title" (see previous point), but thankfully for you, there's already a thread and a ticket open already: Keyboard and mouse don't work after creating snapshot (#18440), please talk about your problem there.

@SteveMacGeek
SteveMacGeek wrote:Did that command line actually work?
'RealJamesDean' posted a reply that had the word "Fixed" in it. Which part wasn't giving away the answer? ;)
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Awww -- I was unclear if he was saying "He fixed THAT" (per some of the many directions) or "That [command line] fixed his issue".

Doesn't my post, "Proper Settings for 1440 x 900 (or greater) MacOS guest/host" [ModEdit: see the previous post from 'SteveMacGeek'] ask some questions not addressed in this post?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Oct 2019, 06:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Posts merged from another thread.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@SteveMacGeek
I merged your post with the current thread; you already had posted on this thread, and the solution is readily available (again) on this thread...
SteveMacGeek wrote:Which of the various display drivers should be selected? Then how do we set the desired resolution?
Both questions are already discussed here, please read the thread carefully from the beginning[1]. I really hate repeating myself on the same thread...
SteveMacGeek wrote:I saw that with some drivers, 2D acceleration in the guest's settings is NOT available. Should it be when running on a modern Retina MacBook Pro?
I don't have the slightest idea what that means, or where that came from. Just stick with the defaults, read the related User Manual chapter and you'll be all set. Don't read random blogs...

[1]: Hint; start from my 1st reply onward...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RealJamesDean wrote:let me know what’s superfluous in the .vbox file when I upload it?
I completely forgot about that 'RealJamesDean', sorry... :?

The only thing that you have in your .vbox that's not "ordinary", is the fact that you've disabled SIP for your guest. Are you aware that you have disabled the SIP? Do you actually want it disabled or not?

It can be a legitimate thing to have, but I've rarely used that trick, only when I want to install custom kexts. Think building VirtualBox from source...
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

OK -- I have correctly been able to set the display resolution on MacOS High Sierra.

It works -- but there's quite a bit of video "tearing" -- where the copying to the guest screen displays visible glitching.

I'm GUESSING this is because -- it's emulation?

I set it to 1440x900.
Graphics Controller: VMSVGA
100% scale factor
Video Memory: 128MB
Monitor count: 1
Enable 3D Acceleration: ON
Enable 2D Acceleration: OFF (only works with Windows guests)

Any other settings that might help improve screen video performance?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:It works
Good, I can mark the thread as [Resolved].
SteveMacGeek wrote:but there's quite a bit of video "tearing"
According to the The Forum Posting Guide » One issue, one thread, please open a new thread with a matching title.

And please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.