Installing Mojave (10.14) on Catalina (10.15)

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
prenez

Installing Mojave (10.14) on Catalina (10.15)

Post by prenez »

Hi, new to the forum.

I successfully disabled SIP and got 6.1 running on Catalina.

Then I successfully created an ISO for Mojave.

And then I loaded up the ISO and started the install.

I was surprised the install booted me into macOS recovery mode, but just chose 'install macOS' and went with it.

Then, all went well until I hit 'select the disk where you want to install macOS' screen...and I don't see any disks.

Obviously, I want to install it into the VM. Suggestions are very welcome!

Prenez
prenez

Re: Installing Mojave (10.14) on Catalina (10.15)

Post by prenez »

oh, you need to go into diskutil and format a drive. got it. ha!
prenez

Post by prenez »

Ok, created the drive and started the install, but with about two minutes to go, the install crashes:

a dialog box pops up over the picture of the Mojave sands and tells me:

"An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Any thoughts?
prenez

Post by prenez »

So I got past this point, turned out I had to go in and make the drive into a real Macintosh HD volume, which I did, via terminal.

So now the problem is it tries to install quartz and crashes, because it can find anything on the path it's looking for. I went into the base image and sure enough, the path is not there. So is there a problem with the MacOS Mojave Installer?

And is there a fix for this crazy problem?

Thanks!
prenez

Post by prenez »

I want to run some 32 bit apps using Mojave in a VirtualBox VM running on Catalina.

When I try to install Mojave, the OS install crashes and reboots.

Could I get some specific instructions for how to do this? Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmfacubgdxqok ... h.mov?dl=0
(this is where it crashes.)

Any help would be appreciated. I set memory as recommended, turned off the floppy checkbox etc. I also made sure to use diskutil to format an APFS drive, made sure it's called Macintosh HD and so on.

I ran csrutil and spctl to address security and kernel.

I'm out of ideas. Sincere question: is it supposed to be this difficult?

I have posted a few times and gotten no responses. If I'm not submitting in the right way, please let me know. If Mojave just doesn't work on VirtualBox on Catalina right now, please let me know. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

prenez wrote:is it supposed to be this difficult?
Not "this difficult", but rather "impossible". 10.14 is not yet supported.
prenez wrote:If Mojave just doesn't work on VirtualBox on Catalina right now, please let me know.
Officially no, do you even see it as an option in the "Version" drop-down control? But unofficially, user 'granada29' has provided a way to do it. See https://www.whatroute.net/installerapp2iso.html

Now... you posted on the "OSX Hosts" and the "OSX pre-releases" sections. I've merged your posts (keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed) and I'm going to move the whole thing in the "OSX Guests" area.

I don't think that this has anything to do with 6.1.0b1, that's why I'm keeping it from the "Beta/Release Feedback" area and removing the "6.1 beta" from the thread title. But if it turns out to be beta-dependent, I'm going to move it again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
prenez

Post by prenez »

Thank you, understood about dupes

https://github.com/AlexanderWillner/run ... d-software

This fellow has it working. I'm installing now.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Just confirming that the granada29 whatroute.net InstallerApp2ISO approach does work to generate an ISO and vdi for installing Mojave 10.14.6.

It runs very nicely! However, I generated the Mojave VM while running VirtualBox ON Mojave. And, I have not yet attempted to test running that Mojave .vbox on Catalina 10.15.

The only issue i've run into is the inability to install the Guest additions on the Guest (even though I could mount the guest additions ISO). I get the following error alert:

Code: Select all

"System Extension Blocked": "A program tried to load one or more system extensions that are incompatible with this version of MacOS. Please contact Oracle America, Inc" for support". 
(I'm going to open a new issue/post for that).

Also: granada29's instructions refer to assigning a "serial number" -- no idea how to do that. (also going to open a new issue / post for that).

Stephen
Meestor_X
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Meestor_X »

prenez wrote:Thank you, understood about dupes

https://github.com/AlexanderWillner/run ... d-software
This fellow has it working. I'm installing now.
Are there any instructions for this for a "beginner"?

The video starts with "make all", what are the steps before that? How should I create the VM? How do I get a prompt in the VM? Where and how do I put the dowloaded script? Is "Make" a command that the VM will understand? So many questions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Meestor_X wrote:Are there any instructions for this for a "beginner"?
'Meestor_X', if you want to go with that 3rd party video that you quoted, you need to ask the respective author, not us. We don't know what they're doing, neither do I (personally) plan on analyzing that.

What you could do, is to follow the instructions from https://www.whatroute.net/installerapp2iso.html which are actively supported in these forums by fellow 'granada29'. He has all the instructions you need there...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Meestor_X

Post by Meestor_X »

Copy that.

Looking for a simpler method. Trying this to see if it works:

[ModEdit; URL to Hackintosh guide deleted]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Meestor_X wrote:Copy that.
No, you didn't. You keep on posting 3rd party guides. I'm not going to follow you down that path, I'd rather stick with what works. If you're in for an experimental trip, good luck...

And what you posted was a Hackintosh guide, URL deleted.
Meestor_X

Post by Meestor_X »

Okay dokey.

Didn't realize my links were not allowed but others are. Just trying to help. Won't happen again.

Too bad, too, because the solution I posted is basically a 1-click and done for High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina installs on VB under MacOS. I found it pretty easily so I'm sure others can too.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Meestor_X wrote:Didn't realize my links were not allowed but others are.
Only links to spam, self-promotional (and really not that helpful), irrelevant, illegal, etc. are not allowed. If you spot anything like that, the "Report to the mods to let them know" button, is just a click away: the inverted warning triangle:
If you spot something that we've missed, please report it. We're doing our best to keep this place spam and noise free...
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

I'm guessing this MIGHT need to go into the "Hosts" forum, but I'm having really problems with a client who is trying to run our pre-configured Mojave GUEST on a Catalina 10.15.2 HOST, using the new VirtualBox 6.1.2. It installed the Guest Additions correctly, and the user set the proper security entitlements in the Security & Privacy System Preference, but once the Mojave VM boots to a MacOS login screen, he doesn't have keyboard or mouse control, and not only is the VM locked up -- so is VirtualBox and the rest of his Mac (13" 2015 MacBook Air with 4GB ram).

I mention it in this thread, because, well -- the topic -- and in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Stephen