Guest - MacOS Catalina - Mouse hold and drag not working

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
San Le

Guest - MacOS Catalina - Mouse hold and drag not working

Post by San Le »

I am using Win 7 (Host) and installed Virtual Box 6.0.4. Then, I installed MacOS Catalina without any issues. After Login MacOS, I can right click and left click. However, I could not click and hold a file/folder on MacOS > then drag it to a new location (MacOS). After I click and drag, the system lost the drag feature right away. I meant I only left and right click, could not drag and drop on MacOS.

Please advice. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest - MacOS Catalina - Mouse hold and drag not working

Post by socratis »

OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest and ch. 3.1.1 Mac OS X Guests of the User Manual.
Mac OS X is commercial, licensed software and contains both license and technical restrictions that limit its use to certain hardware and usage scenarios. You must understand and comply with these restrictions.

In particular, Apple prohibits the installation of most versions of Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

These license restrictions are also enforced on a technical level. Mac OS X verifies that it is running on Apple hardware. Most DVDs that accompany Apple hardware check for the exact model. These restrictions are not circumvented by Oracle VM VirtualBox and continue to apply.
In the really rare case (0.001%) that this is actually an Apple computer, in which you have installed Windows, and you're trying to boot a legitimate OSX guest and not a Hackintosh, send me a PM and I'll remedy the situation. Be prepared to provide evidence in such a case.

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "Windows Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.