Boot loop on macOS host with OS X guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
macpaulek

Boot loop on macOS host with OS X guest

Post by macpaulek »

Hi community,

I am new here even if I have been working with Virtualbox now for several years (but very basic). Now I have run into a problem which I cannot solve:

I have a Mountain Lion (10.8.5) guest which I have imported onto a new host (Mac Mini Mid 2011 with an SSD an 8GB of RAM and High Sierra 10.13.6). The guest starts booting but stops and reboots. This goes on forever.
Same guest machine was working fine on the original host and is working fine on another Mac Mini Mid 2010 (also High Sierra 10.13.6) where it was imported to.

I am attaching some screenshots I have taken from the boot process on the OS X guest. How can I add more and how can I add logs from VB which are larger than 128kb?

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-26 um 11.10.00.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-26 um 11.10.00.png (92.45 KiB) Viewed 15433 times
Last edited by socratis on 26. Jun 2019, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Boot loop on macOS host with OS X guest

Post by socratis »

You included 3 identical screenshots. Not sure why you did that, but the 2 of them are now deleted, there was no point in providing thrice the same information...

I need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
And finally, I'd like some more details on the Export/Import process, how you "copied" the VM to the new host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

Sorry, stupid me - should have checked those screenshots before uploading and forgot about zipping…

here they come. more screenshots and the log.

And thanks for the quick answer!
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-26 um 11.10.09.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-26 um 11.10.09.png (123.38 KiB) Viewed 15404 times
Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-26 um 11.10.06.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-26 um 11.10.06.png (90.48 KiB) Viewed 15404 times
Filemaker ML-2019-06-26-11-12-45.log.zip
(37.62 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

The "recipe" will follow.

I have exported the VM via VBs export function (export appliance; Open Virtualization Format 1.0), the normal mode - not expert - i have just changed the save location and have imported it via the import function.
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

here comes the most recent log from a re-run of the error and the .vbox file

and again: same vm (exported) and imported to another mac runs perfectly there

thanks a load!
Attachments
Filemaker ML.vbox.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Filemaker ML-2019-06-27-16-04-42.log.zip
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.925714 DMI Product Name: Macmini5,2
Your Macmini5,2 came out with OSX 10.7, 10.7.2, 10.7.3, or 10.8, so running a 10.8 guest should be supported.
00:00:02.003995 File system of '/Users/programm1/VirtualBox VMs/Filemaker ML/Filemaker-disk002.iso' (DVD) is apfs
What's that ISO and where did you get it from?

Something is not right here. First of all, you have been bitten by the "import VM" bug, where the <MediaRegistry> is not stored with the <VM>.vbox, but with the VirtualBox.xml. Since you got nothing to lose, delete the VM, including all its files.

Then, don't export and import the VM, that's usually reserved if you want to use another virtualization program. For VirtualBox to VirtualBox, you should copy the whole VM folder from the source to the destination, and then register the new VM. See the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Copying a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

thanks!
will try and get back
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

hi socratis,

i have copied the vm and added to the other machine (no export - import).
same error, i.e. the machine boots in a loop.

any ideas?

thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

macpaulek wrote:any ideas?
Nope.

Can you tell me exactly how you first installed this VM? Really detailed report please; where did you get the installation ISO, which VirtualBox you used, what OSX version the working Mac is running, etc...
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

OK.
I have installed a fresh host system on the Mac Mini (High Sierra, all updates). Installed VB and started installing Mountain Lion. Same loop during boot, same problam.
As the log is too large for the attachment here, I have uploaded it here:
https://cloud.mac-check.com/index.php/s/nJmsrQNJM6bErWd
Do you see anything of importance there?

thanks in advance
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

macpaulek wrote:As the log is too large for the attachment here
I compressed the "Filemaker ML-2019-07-15-10-29-57.log" and all of a sudden it shrunk from 328 KB to 45 KB. Do the same and attach the ZIPPED log to your response. You did it in the past, not sure why you didn't do it this time.
00:00:01.830091 File system of '/Users/it/Desktop/Install OS X Mountain Lion.app/
                Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg' (DVD) is apfs
What's that doing mounted in your VM? Are you trying to install it straight from the Installer.app? Please don't, it will most probably fail.

Download InstallerApp2ISO, an app by fellow user 'granada29' that uses the "InstallerApp2ISO.sh", written by yours truly. Then create the ISO and use that to boot the VM.
macpaulek

Post by macpaulek »

thanks for the help. but never mind i have given up and am running without issues with parallels…

thanks a lot!