"No output devices found" - Audio issue

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
maakux

"No output devices found" - Audio issue

Post by maakux »

Hi,

I am having an issue where I am presented with no output devices on my macOS guest. Specifically, in the Output tab of the Sound settings in System Preferences, I see "No output devices found" in place of the device listing.

I have tried fiddling with the audio settings in the VM configuration. I have also tried adding kernel extensions that would supposedly help but when looking further into that, I realised that was perhaps for the Hackintosh setups which is not going to work for me as I am running on Apple hardware. I was not coming across many articles online where the guest and the host are the same beasts or I was a tad reluctant to try suggestions because the articles themselves were dated.

So, I have decided it is time to try and reach out to the VirtualBox community in hopes someone has solved this before and could share some knowledge or at least point me in the right direction.

The guest and host run on macOS Mojave 10.14.4 and I am using VirtualBox 6.0.6.

Below is what I felt might be relevant in terms of the VM configuration settings based on what I have read here and I have attached a start up and run log that will give more insight to help with troubleshooting. I believe the actual VM set up is fine and I have validated that with a couple of forum posts here.

System
Base Memory: 4096 MB (4 GB)
CPUs: 4
Chipset: ICH9

Audio
Host Driver: CoreAudio
Controller: Intel HD Audio

Host
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
Model: MacBookPro14,3
Version: 10.14.4 (18E226)

Any help would be appreciated and I thank those in advance. If any other information is needed, please let me know.

Thank you!
Attachments
macOS Mojave.log.zip
macOS Mojave log
(37.15 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by maakux on 5. May 2019, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: "No output devices found" - Audio issue

Post by socratis »

maakux wrote:I have also tried adding kernel extensions that would supposedly help
Huh? Like what exactly?
maakux wrote:The guest and host run on macOS Mojave 10.14.4
So, how exactly did you manage to get 10.14 installed, since it's not officially supported???
maakux wrote:I was not able to attach the log as it was too big to upload here
ZIP it first...

PS. Moving the thread from "OSX Hosts" to "OSX Guests", that's where your problem is, with the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maakux

Post by maakux »

socratis wrote:Huh? Like what exactly?
I did not think it was relevant but in short, I think I found myself misguided and ended up looking at solutions for Hackintosh setups but quickly realised it was probably going to help.
socratis wrote:So, how exactly did you manage to get 10.14 installed, since it's not officially supported???
I am not sure what you mean as I simply created a bootable ISO using my host. If it is not supported by VirtualBox, then I guess that may have some bearing on my issue.
socratis wrote:ZIP it first...
See attached.
Attachments
macOS Mojave.log.zip
macOS Mojave log
(37.15 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

maakux wrote:I am not sure what you mean as I simply created a bootable ISO using my host.
No, you didn't. At least I don't see it...

[quote=""VBox.log""]
00:00:01.380301 File system of '/Users/username/VirtualBox VMs/macOS Mojave/support/efi_apfs.iso' (DVD) is apfs
00:00:01.461526 EfiGopMode            <integer> = 0x0000000000000005 (5)
00:00:01.461527 EfiGraphicsResolution <integer> = 0x0000000000000005 (5)
00:00:01.461544 [/CPUM/HostCPUID/] (level 2)
00:00:01.461545 
00:00:01.461545 [/CPUM/HostCPUID/1/] (level 3)
00:00:01.461546   eax <integer> = 0x00000000000306a9 (198 313)
00:00:01.461547   ebx <integer> = 0x0000000004100800 (68 159 488)
00:00:01.461547   ecx <integer> = 0x000000007fbae3ff (2 142 954 495)
00:00:01.461548   edx <integer> = 0x00000000bfebfbff (3 219 913 727)
00:00:01.490112 EFI: boot args = 
00:00:01.490127 EFI: device props =
00:00:01.461664   DmiBoardProduct      <string>  = "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663" (cb=21)
00:00:01.461665   DmiSystemProduct     <string>  = "MacBookPro11,3" (cb=15)
00:00:01.461666   DmiSystemVersion     <string>  = "1.0" (cb=4)
00:00:01.461741 [/Devices/smc/0/Config/] (level 4)
[...]
[/quote] :?:
You seriously need to stop following Hackintosh instructions!
00:00:01.461530 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:01.625670 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?".

And as far as the audio, please enable the input:
00:00:01.461686 [/Devices/hda/0/LUN#0/Config/] (level 5)
00:00:01.461688   InputEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
All in all, this is a seriously hacked installation. I wouldn't know what to make of it...
Last edited by klaus on 23. Feb 2024, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no secrets in posts, please
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maakux

Post by maakux »

socratis wrote:No, you didn't. At least I don't see it...
Like I said, I created a bootable ISO using my existing copy of macOS Mojave 10.14.4. I did this using hdiutil and the built-in Disk Utility. Not sure what makes you believe otherwise.
socratis wrote::?:
You seriously need to stop following Hackintosh instructions!
The efi_apfs.iso contains the EFIs for APFS drivers, which macOS Mojave 10.14.4 can only run on from what I believe. I noticed after the first phase of installation it completed, no matter what format I had picked for the disk, it would revert to APFS. As for the custom data, I am not sure whether or not it is needed or if it should ideally contain the same information my host has, but I do not see the significance if I am honest as I do not need access to iMessage or FaceTime, etc. The point is the ISO (not the copy loaded in at the time of the log which only contains the EFIs for booting) is not a dodgy copy from the Internet. Furthermore, I should add I am not entirely sure what constitutes as 'Hackintosh' aside from using a hacked ISO copy online.
socratis wrote:You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?".
Yes, I was aware of that and thought I had 8 in the host machine but after reading those threads, that is not the case.
socratis wrote:And as far as the audio, please enable the input:
No input needed. I am only interested in output.
socratis wrote:All in all, this is a seriously hacked installation. I wouldn't know what to make of it...
I wanted a virtual copy of my OS, so I knew at most how to go about creating the ISO but when it comes to the more specific side of things like getting it to run, I did some digging online and tried to keep to reasonable lengths and only followed what I thought were reputable resources. If you could tell me what I should have done in regards to getting it to boot, or whether or not the custom data was necessary, that would be much more helpful than accusing me of intellectual property theft.
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

maakux wrote: The efi_apfs.iso contains the EFIs for APFS drivers, which macOS Mojave 10.14.4 can only run on from what I believe. I noticed after the first phase of installation it completed, no matter what format I had picked for the disk, it would revert to APFS. ...... The point is the ISO (not the copy loaded in at the time of the log which only contains the EFIs for booting) is not a dodgy copy from the Internet.
I will soon release (next week or so) a script, and GUI wrapper for that script, which generates a VirtualBox VDI file containing 2 partitions:
1. An EFI partition with the apfs.efi driver (copied from the Install macOS Mojave application) plus an EFI "startup.nsh" script.
2. An empty APFS partition.

The GUI will also include @socratis script for generating the ISO installer.

These components (plus a bit of time) are all that's required to build a Mojave VM.

I think what you have done is pretty similar to my approach and I'm glad you got it work. What would be nice is if it could actually be integrated into VirtualBox, but that's beyond my skills.

I also verified that VirtualBox Mojave can not see any audio devices. As Mojave on VirtualBox is not supported, I'm not sure if it's worth submitting a bug report. Maybe when macOS 10.15 is available (beta should be next month) we might see some action on getting Mojave supported.
maakux

Post by maakux »

granada29 wrote:I will soon release (next week or so) a script, and GUI wrapper for that script, which generates a VirtualBox VDI file containing 2 partitions:
1. An EFI partition with the apfs.efi driver (copied from the Install macOS Mojave application) plus an EFI "startup.nsh" script.
2. An empty APFS partition.

The GUI will also include @socratis script for generating the ISO installer.

These components (plus a bit of time) are all that's required to build a Mojave VM.
It seems very similar to how I have managed to get it to boot, particularly with having to edit the startup.nsh script. I prefer doing these things myself as I always like the trial and error approach which is a great way to learn but I am absolutely sure your script will benefit those who just need a macOS Mojave install or may not necessarily have the time or patience to do it themselves. I will be interested in giving it a look when you do release it nevertheless.
granada29 wrote:I also verified that VirtualBox Mojave can not see any audio devices. As Mojave on VirtualBox is not supported, I'm not sure if it's worth submitting a bug report. Maybe when macOS 10.15 is available (beta should be next month) we might see some action on getting Mojave supported.
I did think that it may be an issue of support when I did not see Mojave in the predefined list of macOS editions. Fortunately, it is not really a massive concern to me and I also think there are probably better things for the VirtualBox dev team to focus on than this particularly specific issue. Plus, I am currently working on solving networking issues.