0xc000000d/87 - VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
shivangswain

0xc000000d/87 - VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED

Post by shivangswain »

I am currently on Windows 10 Home v10.0.18362.30 and am trying to run a macOS Mojave .vmdk that I borrowed from a friend. I have hash checked the .vmdk, which he can run, and did a re-install of Virtualbox just in case. I have both Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform enabled because disabling either or both of them causes another error to pop up, asking you to enable the latter in Windows Features.

I get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine macOS Mojave.

Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Both the regular and the Hardening log are in the attached zip:
Attachments
macOS Mojave.zip
(28.95 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 0xc000000d/87 - VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED

Post by socratis »

shivangswain wrote:trying to run a macOS Mojave .vmdk that I borrowed from a friend
You shouldn't just blindly borrow things... ;)

OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest and ch. 3.1.1 Mac OS X Guests of the User Manual.
Mac OS X is commercial, licensed software and contains both license and technical restrictions that limit its use to certain hardware and usage scenarios. You must understand and comply with these restrictions.

In particular, Apple prohibits the installation of most versions of Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

These license restrictions are also enforced on a technical level. Mac OS X verifies that it is running on Apple hardware. Most DVDs that accompany Apple hardware check for the exact model. These restrictions are not circumvented by Oracle VM VirtualBox and continue to apply.
Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this issue on these forums (all of them locked, hoping that someone will get the hint), but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "Windows pre-releases".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.