[NotSupported] Keeps restarting when installing Mojave on Macbook

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Andy9

[NotSupported] Keeps restarting when installing Mojave on Macbook

Post by Andy9 »

Hello,

I am trying to set up my VM on my Macbook Pro (host) where I have Mojave. I am trying to install a Mojave (guest) VM and everything works fine up until Mojave is actually being installed (please see screen shots ). When it gets close to the end, it just kind of crashes and the whole thing restarts. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I created the ISO using instructions in the following instructions

hdiutil create -o /tmp/mojave.cdr -size 6g -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
hdiutil attach /tmp/mojave.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_mojave
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_mojave
mv /tmp/mojave.cdr.dmg ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ mojave
hdiutil convert ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/mojave.iso
mv ~/Desktop/mojave.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/mojave.iso
rm ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg

Thank you!
Attachments
Installation in progress...
Installation in progress...
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 2.52.16 PM.jpg (109.74 KiB) Viewed 7272 times
Last edited by socratis on 4. Mar 2019, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [NotSupported].
Andy9

Re: Keeps restarting when installing Mojave on Macbook

Post by Andy9 »

I think I found out the answer...might be wrong but I read on here that VB doesn't support APFS so Mojave might not work. I'll try a different version.
Andy9

Post by Andy9 »

Well, I give up. I tried it with High Sierra and same result. VMs clearly aren't for everybody.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Andy9 wrote:I tried it with High Sierra and same result
If you declared your hard drive as being SSD, yes, you'll get an APFS during a 10.13 installation, which means failure.

Read the following two threads: They are the two only sticky threads in the "OSX Guests" area, the one you posted to...
Andy9 wrote:VMs clearly aren't for everybody.
But searching and asking for help is! ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andy9

Post by Andy9 »

Hmmm...the sad thing is I've actually read that post and never even paid attention to the red part about the SSD thing....but that was not checked anyway by default (if you're talking about the Solid State Drive check box by where I load the High Sierra ISO). I'll try it again thank you very much!
Andy9

Post by Andy9 »

Socratis you may have fixed my problem! Looks like it might be installing this now...for real this time.

So is it true then that Mojave will not work or has that been fixed?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Andy9 wrote:the sad thing is I've actually read that post and never even paid attention to the red part about the SSD thing
Hmm... makes me wonder how I should have put it then... Maybe instead of:
socratis wrote:NOTE: Do NOT designate your virtual HD as an "SSD". The installation WILL fail if you do that, because the OSX installer will convert the filesystem to APFS, something that the VirtualBox EFI can not handle.
go for something like this?
socratis wrote:NOTE: Do NOT designate your virtual HD as an "SSD". The installation WILL fail if you do that, because the OSX installer will convert the filesystem to APFS, something that the VirtualBox EFI can not handle.
:D
Andy9 wrote:So is it true then that Mojave will not work or has that been fixed?
Mojave, aka 10.14 will not work as a guest with the official VirtualBox EFI.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andy9

Post by Andy9 »

LOL! That probably would have done the trick...or I can just learn to be more thorough and read everything. I was probably too excited and skipped it. BTW...this worked for sure...it's about to finish the install. Thank you again!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad it worked, seriously! But, since the thread's title is talking mainly about 10.14 as a guest, I'll have to mark the thread as [NotSupported].

Until it is... ;)