Snow Leopard on a 2017 5K iMac (High Sierra)

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
untmdsprt
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS X

Snow Leopard on a 2017 5K iMac (High Sierra)

Post by untmdsprt »

This has been annoying me for the past day or two.

I have a legit Snow Leopard DVD that I paid for to upgrade a 2007 MacBook when Snow Leopard was the latest OS. I now have a 2017 iMac with High Sierra in which I want to install Snow Leopard using Virtualbox. I'm currently getting the "can't find root something" error.

How do I get past this so I can get Snow Leopard installed? I'm using v6 of Virtualbox. Do I need an older version of this or do I need to enter in some command in the terminal to trick something? All the research I've done so far has proven futile as I still can't get it installed.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Snow Leopard on a 2017 5K iMac (High Sierra)

Post by socratis »

Are you using the actual DVD or you created an ISO from it? What doess that DVD "look" like? Does it say update, upgrade, does it have a part number and/or version on it? Did it come with a specific MacBook model?

Another thing to make sure of, is to enter the following command in the Terminal, of course while the VM is completely shut down:
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
untmdsprt

Post by untmdsprt »

It's a full retail version that says Install DVD, part #2Z691-6428-A. Did not come with a computer but bought separately.

Since my iMac doesn't have a DVD player built in, I've had to use remote disk and use my PC's drive and disk utility to create a dmg file.

I did do the terminal command and still didn't help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

untmdsprt wrote:I've had to use remote disk and use my PC's drive and disk utility to create a dmg file.
That maybe part of the problem, the creation of the ISO/DMG. Maybe you didn't image the whole disk, but only a partition. I have somewhere in my attic the original 10.6.2 DVDs, I need to track them down.

Can you do me a favor and go to the top level of the DVD, and do a:
  • ls -alR > lsalR.txt
then ZIP that resulting "lsalR.txt" and attach it here?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
untmdsprt

Post by untmdsprt »

Welp, even if I could get Snow Leopard running, the old games I was wanting to play for the heck of it requires a PowerPC Mac. I'm not even sure Snow Leopard even supported that or if I had to go older.

Unless by some chance my old G4 still works I doubt I'll be doing anything with them except put them in a museum.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Or you can send them to me! I still have a PowerBook G4 and a PowerMac G5 running ;)
What games are we talking about? And can't Rosetta in 10.6 help you out?