Problem installing Mountain Lion Guest on Sierra Host, any thoughts?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem installing Mountain Lion Guest on Sierra Host, any thoughts?

Post by socratis »

Hey "Paddywack Arts",

I just updated the "InstallerApp2ISO.sh" to include 10.8.x installers. It should work in theory. Could you give it a try and let me know, either here or in the "[HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app" thread, where you can get the script from?

Actually, can you do me a favor and run the following command? Just copy/paste the whole thing in the Terminal. This is assuming that the "InstallerApp2ISO.sh" is located in "/Users/user/Downloads" (the default):
  • 
    /Users/user/Downloads/InstallerApp2ISO.sh -i "/Applications/Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" -v 2
Then save the Terminal output (not via TextEdit, not needed), ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Paddywack Arts

Post by Paddywack Arts »

Hellooooo

Well there's good news and bad news.

The script works fine.
I love the comments that come up - I did make a cup of tea!

The terminal output is here:
MountainLion Install App Terminal Output.zip
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
But
When I run the VM the install still reports the same Boot Cache Playlist error and at the same place....
The dialogue looks fine now... but just an empty space without any drives on which to install.
The VM log is here:
Mountain Lion-2019-01-04-02-35-25.zip
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Once again - thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The "MountainLion Install App Terminal Output.zip" that you included is not from the App2ISO conversion, it's the previous one from the app listing. Could you edit your message and post the appropriate Terminal output? Don't worry if it's going to replace your existing ISO, that's OK...

As far as our differences in the VM Settings:
  • I have 2 CPUs, you have 1.
  • I have USB3 enabled, you have USB1. You'll need the Extension Pack for that.
  • I have 128 MB VRAM, you have 16. I think that might be the one holding you back.
Try to change the above settings and try again...
00:00:11.030004 Audio: Device 'Soundflower (2ch)':
I don't particularly like that one, because it's incompatible. You may run into troubles, crashes, etc.

PS. For future reference, you should completely shut down the VM before grabbing the VBox.log, it's incomplete otherwise...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.