Attempting To Install Leopard(10.5.2) From Installation Discs

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
boracle

Attempting To Install Leopard(10.5.2) From Installation Discs

Post by boracle »

Anyone know if it's possible to run the installer from VirtualBox? The console appears to become unresponsive. Not sure what to try next.
Attachments
Leopard VM-2018-11-22-21-47-31.log.zip
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by boracle on 7. Jan 2019, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Attempting To Install Leopard(10.5.2) From Installation Discs

Post by socratis »

Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe problem" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM completely shut down, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
boracle

Post by boracle »

Thanks, socratis.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.339130 GuestCpuName <string> = "host" (cb=5)
00:00:01.657270 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7360U CPU @ 2.30GHz"
Your i5-7360U is too new for 10.5. With the VM shutdown (not paused or saved), open up Terminal and give the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "Leopard VM" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
I haven't installed 10.5.x for ages, but if that doesn't work try to change the number of CPUs from 1 to 2. I'm going to give it a shot with 5.2.22 and 6.0.0 and report back...
00:00:01.339377 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
I would take the VRAM to at least 64 MB. I always put my VMs' VRAM to 128 MB. Except DOS-based ones. ;)

BTW, how come 10.5.x?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I tried downgrading several versions, to no avail. I couldn't get 10.5 to install. My 10.5 VM runs fine, it's just that I can't install a new one. Sorry for that...
boracle

Post by boracle »

Thanks a bunch, socratis. I'll need some time to decipher everything here, I'm very new to this. To answer your question, I actually just upgraded to a new machine(I have a tendency to get the most out of my stuff : ) A lot of the software worked perfectly fine for my purposes, some of it I think I ran with Tiger. Also, I can't afford to upgrade all of it. So, I'm starting here with what I already have and upgrade the OS as needed. I'm open to suggestions, though.
boracle

Post by boracle »

So, I punched in the code on Terminal, changed the Video Memory to 64, then 128MB. Processor(s) to 2. Install disk is still unresponsive. I'm guessing I'll need to find a slightly less older OS to run my old setup. Any thoughts?
boracle

Post by boracle »

So, does anyone know what's the oldest available OS I can install on VB using Mojave?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's not 10.14 that's the problem (well, sort of), it's which version of VirtualBox can install 10.5. Even back when I started the Status of OSX on OSX thread 4 1/2 years ago (2014-05-21), I had 10.5 noted as a no-go, except for VirtualBox versions 4.3.0 to 4.3.6 (yes, I *did* try each and every version). It was actually the failed installation of 10.5 that triggered the whole thread!

I'm not sure if you can install VirtualBox 4.3.6 on OSX 10.14.x (Mojave) or if it will run at all (chances are not), you're certainly going to see warnings about expired certificates. But it's your only hope, short of having someone sharing with you an already installed VM. Unfortunately my MBP is in for repairs, so I can't test the 4.3.6 theory, even on its OSX 10.11.6.
boracle

Post by boracle »

Tried to install 4.3.6 but no joy. I guess my only option is to find an old copy of 10.6 and hope for the best. Or find another old machine as a backup for when my old one finally goes. Thanks for all of your help, anyway.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@boracle
Can't promise anything, but if my MBP comes in, I could try it for you. I might even get my old 10.9.6 MBP back, which can definitely run VirtualBox 4.3.x. Give me a ping in a couple of weeks, will you?
boracle

Post by boracle »

Thank you, socratis but I'm not sure I follow. I won't be able to run 4.3.6 on Mojave anyway. Am I missing something?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I know you won't be able to run 4.3.6 on OSX 10.14. But, you will be able to run a VM if a VM is already installed. ;)

BTW, I asked you how come 10.5.x and not (let's say) 10.6.x, which is by far easier to install and run. You don't have 10.6.x?
boracle

Post by boracle »

Ahh, guess you missed my earlier comment. Or I wasn't clear. My machine upgrade was a large gap in model/OS. The computer before this one is a pre-unibody MacBook Pro. My last OS I still have on it is 10.5.2. I don't have 10.6.

Anyway, I think I get it now. I don't know how much life my old machine has so it would be great to run my old setup(music, video production) on my new machine. There's no rush, I just need to run two machines right now. Either way thanks for all of your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would seriously think of moving/changing my habits. The music and other data files that you have can be migrated. As for the apps, they're old, think of finding newer versions/alternative programs. And don't even think about running a video production software in a VM; the performance alone would make a priest start swearing like a pirate!