OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.

Re: OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Postby socratis » 4. Sep 2019, 21:57

@megaspaz
I just tested it again on a 10.9 and 10.13 guest and it works as advertised. You got to remember that on 10.13 you have to give permission to "Oracle" for installing the kext...
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby megaspaz » 4. Sep 2019, 22:50

@socratis

Installing the kexts was done already unless there's something new and I have to continually keep allowing Oracle in Security & Privacy? But the installation doesn't error and there's no reference to Oracle in Privacy & Security also...

Running the start up command shows the kexts loaded
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
/Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh start
Error: VBoxDrv.kext is already loaded
Error: VBoxUSB.kext is already loaded
Error: VBoxNetFlt.kext is already loaded
Error: VBoxNetAdp.kext is already loaded
Fatal error: VirtualBox

Not sure what else needs doing...
megaspaz

Postby socratis » 5. Sep 2019, 00:02

1. As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window.

2. Find a way to get the contents of the file out of the VM. I actually used the newly installed GAs to Copy the text from the VM, and Paste them on my host. If you can't do it, try something different:
    1. Upload it to pastebin.com from within the guest. That would require a NAT, NATnetwork or a Bridged network option for your guest.
    2. Enable ScreenSharing for your guest, and then connect to your guest from your host's Finder. You'd need some sort of host-to-guest networking for that, either Bridged or HostOnly.
  3. If you get it on your host as a text file, ZIP and attach that file, otherwise post the link to pastebin.com.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby megaspaz » 5. Sep 2019, 03:04

You're talking about installation of a guest MacOS VM?

Edit:
So it appears that if SIP is enabled on the guest, it thwarts the functionality of host/guest copy/paste. In older versions of GAs that had working copy/paste, having SIP enabled on the guest didn't matter. But due to shenanigans done by me, SIP is always enabled after every shutdown of the guest... So I'll just have do a new guest MacOS VM.... :lol:
megaspaz

Postby socratis » 5. Sep 2019, 08:16

No, that's not it. SIP is enabled on every 10.13 test that I did, and that didn't affect the c/p functionality.

The instructions were to get the installer log from the GAs installation in the guest. Not the installation of the whole VM...
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby megaspaz » 5. Sep 2019, 09:19

Ah... no idea why I'm seeing SIP affecting c/p... Here's the pastebin... https://pastebin.com/LPjd6PWm

Edit:
I saw Oracle in this go in Security & Privacy, so I'm guessing like you said about the kexts...

Edit #2:
Yep... work's after reinstalling GA...
megaspaz

Postby socratis » 5. Sep 2019, 11:23

megaspaz wrote:I saw Oracle in this go in Security & Privacy
megaspaz wrote:work's after reinstalling GA...

Glad you solved it by finally following the instructions...
Sep  5 00:08:06 ram-macos installd[512]: kextcache: Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7ffd1bc6b1f0 [0x7fff94d4fa90]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/VBoxGuest.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxGuest" }
socratis
Site Moderator

MacOS Guest Additions, missing functionalities

Postby joseluisbz » 17. Sep 2019, 04:01

I'm happy because I was reading about MacOS Guest Additions are walking (6.0.0 and 6.0.12 indicates is not abandoned)...

But, I want to know, What well known functionalities in (Windows Guest and Linux Guest) have not yet been implemented?
joseluisbz

Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

Postby socratis » 17. Sep 2019, 08:32

joseluisbz wrote:I'm happy because I was reading about MacOS Guest Additions
... and now your question has been merged with the thread that you should be reading. Start from the top.
socratis
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Mac OS X Guests