OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

I believe you need to ENABLE that feature in the SETTINGS > Advanced tab. Did you do that?

Stephen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@SteveMacGeek
What exactly are you talking about here?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Sorry -- just saw this. What I was talking about was that there's a SETTING > GENERAL > Advanced > Shared Clipboard popup where the bi-directional feature must be enabled, and by default it isn't. So if the user I was responding to still didn't see bi-directional clipboard even after installing the Guest Additions, perhaps that's why it worked for me, but not for him.

Stephen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:and by default it isn't
That's a really valid point! Thanks for this, 1st post of the thread updated! 8)
altajason
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, MacOS(32-bit), Solaris

Post by altajason »

Hi Socratis,

I have managed to get VB 6.1 working on my MacOS Catalina host with a MacOS High Sierra guest. I also have the GA added to the guest.

I would like to get access to files on the host while using the MacOS High Sierra guest to access them and edit those files. (I am using a 32-bit app which is why I am doing this in the first place). I have enabled shared files on my MacOS Catalina and have shared files between several other Macs here in my house, so I know that I have file sharing working in a Mac only world.

However, I cannot get the MacOS High Sierra guest to access files from my MacOS Catalina host. I can connect to the host in Finder via both afp://<IP address> and smb://<IP address> however the actual files and directories do not show up. I am using a host-only network for my MacOS guest (note: it needs to be set up on command line to make host-only networking work). Any ideas on what I am missing or doing wrong? The docs are light on this topic.

Thank you for your thoughts on this subject.
mpack wrote:Shared folders.
Even that is not a problem at all. Just enabling the most basic of networking modes (Host-Only) and File Sharing in the guest, makes file sharing so ridiculously easy that it would be a waste of time writing even a single line of code for this. The VM just shows up in your host's Finder and you just connect to it, as a networked resource.

And Shared Folders will become a thing of the past pretty much with the introduction of the File Manager. You can open a session for the guest and you have access to the whole guest filesystem. Copying/moving/deleting/renaming/the whole thing is right there. And yes, these work with the OSX GAs, you just need the "guestcontrol" part working...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This topic is about what is working in the OS X GAs. Your post does not seem on topic, i.e. it seems to be about getting network shared folders to work.
altajason
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, MacOS(32-bit), Solaris

Post by altajason »

mpack wrote:This topic is about what is working in the OS X GAs. Your post does not seem on topic, i.e. it seems to be about getting network shared folders to work.
Sorry mpack, I quoted a posting about the GA features that are in the other GA packages, shared folders are important. My question is about what's working and what's not working with the topic of shared folders, a feature that we'd expect in the guest additions, which is why I chose to post this question here.

I need to be able to use my 32-bit version of MacOS to access files that are on the 64-bit host. I don't really care if they are VBox GA shared folders, or Apple shared folders. This is the one feature I need to work, and if there will be no effort done to make it work, then my little exercise with running older MacOSes as a guest in the newer MacOS host will come to a quick end. I am looking for a way to make that happen.

It sounds from your reply that I need to start a new thread, if that's the case, then I will do that. If this is a reasonable place to pose this question, then there it is, how do I share files and folders between MacOS host and MacOS guest?
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

@Socratis --

Since there IS some minimal functionality the OS X GAs provide for a Mojave Guest, I wondered with the release of 6.1.2:

With 6.1.2 running on a Catalina 15.2 HOST, I'm seeing crashing of my Mojave GUEST at the end of the Mojave booting process -- around the time I would expect the GA that I installed with the older 6.0.12 to be loading. Unfortunately, the VM completely locks up (both the host & the guest) so it's hard to know what the actual bug is. Actually, it seems as if it also locks up the entire host Mac running 10.15.2 Catalina -- so hard to be sure what's going on.

TWO RELEVANT QUESTIONS:

ONE: Is there any way to tell if ANY relevant changes have been made to the OS X GAs in the 6.1.2 iso?

TWO: Is there any value in REBUILDING the entire MacOS Guest so that the newer (6.1.2) version of the GA is installed? Since it presently crashes with 6.1.2 (never did with 6.1.0 or 6.0.12), I can't just mount the ISO and install the new GA over the old GA.

Stephen
GadgetSurplus

Post by GadgetSurplus »

So new to OSX guest on VirtualBox. In fact, been 10 years since on this forum! Read through the thread. So it appears Shared Folders in Guest Additions is not working / available. If so, how else does one connect to the Host drives that are not otherwise available (via SMB network shares, etc)?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

GadgetSurplus wrote:how else does one connect to the Host drives that are not otherwise available (via SMB network shares, etc)?
Via SMB network shares, yes, though an accurate answer kind of depends on which OS's are involved: SMB is a Windows standard.
alangh

Post by alangh »

Using VirtualBox 6.1.10 r138449 (Qt5.6.3) on a host retina iMac 2019 running Mojave 10.14.6.
The extension pack is installed. I have a VM client with Catalina 10.15.5 installed.
When I try to install Guest Additions in the client, the installer comes up, gets the authorization
password, and tries to install but returns with an error (contact the developer).
I have attached a zipped install log (search it for VBox near the end).
From looking at the log, this appears to be a kext issue. Are there any work arounds?
Attachments
install.log.zip
(85.43 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@alangh, I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of this topic. The purpose of this topic is to spread information about what features are implemented in the OS X GAs. It is not the goal here to help out individuals having installation problems. I suggest you start your own topic for that.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Post by ant »

What's the status of macOS' GAs? Is it on hold now? :(
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The status is that they don't officially exist - no mention is made of them in the user manual. We here are all users, so we can't give you any info on the dev's timelines and priorities. If I had to guess, I'd say that MacOS GAs are a low priority for paying customers (i.e. business customers), as those will generally want a Windows lifeline on their Macs.