OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Post by socratis »

@megaspaz
I just tested it again on a 10.9 and 10.13 guest and it works as advertised. You got to remember that on 10.13 you have to give permission to "Oracle" for installing the kext...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

@socratis

Installing the kexts was done already unless there's something new and I have to continually keep allowing Oracle in Security & Privacy? But the installation doesn't error and there's no reference to Oracle in Privacy & Security also...

Running the start up command shows the kexts loaded

Code: Select all

/Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh start
Error: VBoxDrv.kext is already loaded
Error: VBoxUSB.kext is already loaded
Error: VBoxNetFlt.kext is already loaded
Error: VBoxNetAdp.kext is already loaded
Fatal error: VirtualBox
Not sure what else needs doing...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window.
  2. Find a way to get the contents of the file out of the VM. I actually used the newly installed GAs to Copy the text from the VM, and Paste them on my host. If you can't do it, try something different:
    1. Upload it to pastebin.com from within the guest. That would require a NAT, NATnetwork or a Bridged network option for your guest.
    2. Enable ScreenSharing for your guest, and then connect to your guest from your host's Finder. You'd need some sort of host-to-guest networking for that, either Bridged or HostOnly.
  3. If you get it on your host as a text file, ZIP and attach that file, otherwise post the link to pastebin.com.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

You're talking about installation of a guest MacOS VM?

Edit:
So it appears that if SIP is enabled on the guest, it thwarts the functionality of host/guest copy/paste. In older versions of GAs that had working copy/paste, having SIP enabled on the guest didn't matter. But due to shenanigans done by me, SIP is always enabled after every shutdown of the guest... So I'll just have do a new guest MacOS VM.... :lol:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, that's not it. SIP is enabled on every 10.13 test that I did, and that didn't affect the c/p functionality.

The instructions were to get the installer log from the GAs installation in the guest. Not the installation of the whole VM...
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

Ah... no idea why I'm seeing SIP affecting c/p... Here's the pastebin... https://pastebin.com/LPjd6PWm

Edit:
I saw Oracle in this go in Security & Privacy, so I'm guessing like you said about the kexts...

Edit #2:
Yep... work's after reinstalling GA...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

megaspaz wrote:I saw Oracle in this go in Security & Privacy
megaspaz wrote:work's after reinstalling GA...
Glad you solved it by finally following the instructions...
Sep  5 00:08:06 ram-macos installd[512]: kextcache: Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7ffd1bc6b1f0 [0x7fff94d4fa90]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/VBoxGuest.kext/", ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxGuest" }
joseluisbz
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

MacOS Guest Additions, missing functionalities

Post by joseluisbz »

I'm happy because I was reading about MacOS Guest Additions are walking (6.0.0 and 6.0.12 indicates is not abandoned)...

But, I want to know, What well known functionalities in (Windows Guest and Linux Guest) have not yet been implemented?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

joseluisbz wrote:I'm happy because I was reading about MacOS Guest Additions
... and now your question has been merged with the thread that you should be reading. Start from the top.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

I just upgraded to 6.0.14, downloaded and installed Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.14.vbox-extpack, and I also have no bidirectional drag and drop or folder sharing. For Folder sharing (MacOS High Sierra Guest running on MacOS Mojave Host) I get "The VirtualBox Guest Additions do not appear to be available on this virtual machine, and shared folders cannot be used."

Also installed the Guest Additions CD that mounted on the Guest. (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg from the VBox_GAs.6.0.14 CD).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), guest control, enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
And if you had actually read the thread from the beginning, it is clearly stated that there are no Shared Folders or Drag and Drop...
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

I DID read the thread from the beginning.

But I mistakenly assumed that because the GENERAL > ADVANCED tab for the guest's settings had the enabled setting for "Drag'n'Drop", which could be set to Bidirectional, and because the host allowed me to select and configure Share Folders from the Shared Folders icon at the bottom of the Guest's window, that the issue was either BUG or PILOT ERROR.

Sorry, I'll learn.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SteveMacGeek wrote:Sorry, I'll learn.
1) Don't be, 2) That's how we all started; crawling before walking, before running... ;)
paulmc
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

First, I wanted to add my thanks to the devs for providing the initial edition of OS X / macOS GAs in VBox 6! As @socratis noted earlier, just having the shared clipboard is very nice indeed.

I occasionally do a "clean" install of the GAs (especially if I've changed someting major in a VM's settings, just in case), by first uninstalling the current GAs and then installing the new ones.

As such, I'd like to bring to your attention a relatively minor issue with the 'VBoxDarwinAdditionsUninstall.tool' file. I'm not sure in which VBox 6 release this issue first manifested, but in at least the past couple of versions that file is not marked as executable, so it actually does nothing when double-clicked.

A fairly easy workaround is to copy it from the mounted VBox GAs disc to the desktop, and from a Terminal shell run a 'chmod a+x' or equivalent command on the copy. Then, by double-clicking that adjusted copy, it does seem to run fine and do the preliminary cleanup.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're absolutely right 'paulmc', good call and a keen eye! 8)
$ ls -al /Volumes/VBox_GAs_6.1.0/VBoxDarwinAdditionsUninstall.tool 
-r--r--r--  1 socratis  staff  3949 21 Οκτ 19:01 /Volumes/VBox_GAs_6.1.0/VBoxDarwinAdditionsUninstall.tool
You can ignore the 6.1.0b part, it's * GAs ISOs. The "proper authorities" have been notified... ;)