Attempting to Resize .vdi drive for macOS 10.13 High Sierra (APFS)

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
fchorney

Attempting to Resize .vdi drive for macOS 10.13 High Sierra (APFS)

Post by fchorney »

So, I am running a macOS Mojave Host, and I have a macOS High Sierra guest (using clover for APFS support). I recently realized that I will need more drive space on my VM so I have opted to increase the vdi using the modifyhd command.
So the console commands claims that my .vdi drive is now 80GB (used to be 40).

When I boot up my High Sierra VM it doesn't seem to notice that the drive is any bigger. If I load up the High Sierra install disk and look at Diskutil, or use "df" in the terminal, I still only see 40GB. I attempted to do something like this viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64864 (sorry, can't post URLs) but that didn't seem to work as the initial problem seems to be that macOS doesn't seem to think the drive has expanded at all.

I have tried searching for an answer for quite a bit of time, and I have not been able to solve the issue.

Has anybody solved this at all?
Last edited by socratis on 7. Dec 2018, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Attempting to Resize .vdi drive for macOS 10.13 High Sierra (APFS)

Post by socratis »

fchorney wrote:macOS High Sierra guest (using clover for APFS support)
I don't know how to deal with APFS, mainly because VirtualBox will not support it natively (booting from it). If and when it does, I'll have a better understanding. But until that time, I suggest you avoid hacked solutions (Clover for APFS) and stick with HFS+. 10.13 supports it (doesn't require APFS) and I know how to resize that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fchorney

Post by fchorney »

I initially started using clover for running Mojave, and we use these VMs for CI type stuff. I think in the end I'll just need to re-create the VM's as I can't figure out a way to get the resize to work.

I used APFS and clover for High Sierra, because it seemed like it was being forced on me. I think I understand now that I can just tell virtualbox that it's not an "SSD" (even though it is) and when I install High Sierra again it won't force APFS on me?

Is there any sort of timeline for APFS support in virtual box?

p.s. thanks for fixing the link in my initial post
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

fchorney wrote:I think I understand now that I can just tell virtualbox that it's not an "SSD" (even though it is) and when I install High Sierra again it won't force APFS on me?
Exactly. Being on an SSD and declaring it as an SSD are two completely irrelevant things. If OSX doesn't see a (declared) SSD it will stick with HFS+. Not so with 10.14, it will use APFS no matter what.
fchorney wrote:Is there any sort of timeline for APFS support in virtual box?
There's no timeline for nothing in VirtualBox. At least not for us commoners, only the developers might know, and they're not talking...
fchorney wrote:p.s. thanks for fixing the link in my initial post
Don't mention it, that's what we're here for. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.