OSX Guest on X86?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
pjw1965

OSX Guest on X86?

Post by pjw1965 »

Will you support OSX as guest on all x86 machines?

Infos obout OS X on x86 under http://www.osx86project.org/
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

We don't support guest PAE, which as far as I know is a show stopper for running OS X guests.
pjw1965

Post by pjw1965 »

michael wrote:We don't support guest PAE, which as far as I know is a show stopper for running OS X guests.
Would be a good thing, if someone could implement it in the future, direct or simulated.

PAE on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

All our code is open - feel free to do it or to find someone else who will do it :)
PuNkErX

Post by PuNkErX »

haha, but prepare for the wraith of Apples lawyers. They do not like their product to be virtualized.
pjw1965

Supporting Darwin?

Post by pjw1965 »

PuNkErX wrote:haha, but prepare for the wraith of Apples lawyers. They do not like their product to be virtualized.
Yes, I know. So we shouldn't implement code to virtutlize just OS X, but we can implement as mutch as possible to reflect the original CPU and support Darwin. And don't use a cracked ISO on VirtualBox to install OS X! :twisted:

VMWare needs a CPU that supports SSE2 or SSE3 instructions, like a new Pentium 4 or an Athlon64 does, to install Darwin. (see also http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... _on_VMware )
SSE and SSE2 is shown in the VirtualBox guest :D (don't know, how to test it)

Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.18-4-686 on host/guest with Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Differences (Debian on host/guest) on /proc/cpuinfo:
Guest misses
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 1
> core id : 0
> cpu cores : 1
and the following flags:
- vme, pae, sep, mtrr, mca, pat, pse36, clflush, dts, acpi, ss, ht, tm, pbe, cid, xtpr

Bogomips host (512MB RAM): 5600
Bogomips guest (128MB RAM): 5080 (90%)
Bogomips guest (256MB RAM): 5700 (102%) :roll:

Debian 4.0 as host and UBUNTU Feisty as guest:
- NO DIFFERENCES on /proc/cpuinfo.
- ALL FLAGS in guest
- also the missing lines!
:D
Last edited by pjw1965 on 10. May 2007, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Yes, illegal hacked copies of Mac OS X *can* run on a standard x86 PC as native OS (dual-boot) or under VMware. But it requires SSE3 capable CPU for both native or virtualized Mac OS X.

I call such a PC: "Hacintosh" ! :)

So if VMware can, so can VirtualBox, but first we need to get Darwin to work perfectly.

Of course Innotek cannot officially support Mac OS X as guest, becuase Apple will "eat 'em alive" in court. But it could be made to run.
outside

Post by outside »

Some of the hacked versions of OSX runs on non SSE3 processors. In fact I am running one of them onmy laptop but the same is not able to run under VirtualBox (neither under Parallels).
chag

Post by chag »

Some of the hacked versions of OSX runs on non SSE3 processors. In fact I am running one of them onmy laptop but the same is not able to run under VirtualBox (neither under Parallels).
but it runs with qemu...
dineshj
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Vista

Re: OSX Guest on X86?

Post by dineshj »

Yes, Installing Mac OS X as guest on X86 VirtualBox is possible by following method.
 Edit: Link deleted Please read http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31104 
It worked well for me, just for testing purpose.
tuffguy45

Post by tuffguy45 »

I'm confused as to what the OP means when he says "X86", most desktop/laptop and even server computers being sold now are x86, as opposed to PowerPC or Itanium. Apple's current cpu configurations are x86, as they migrated away from PPC some time ago and the only company I know that still uses PPC's is HP/IBM for their AS/400/HPUX/AIX/etc... systems.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Either way, 3.2 has OSX Guest support only when you are on Mac hardware. That's it. Locking this one before it goes out of control.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.